• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just picked up some parts...

RickB

Yoda
:laugh:

I went & visited Gary in Issaquah and returned with a lot of good stuff!
Here's what I got:
(all in good -to- very good condition)

Bonnet
Boot lid
NICE chrome luggage rack
pair of side mirrors
pair of sun visors
various chrome bits (MIDGET) etc...
Perfect windshield IN THE FRAME
NOS turn signal lights
various other bits & pieces

He removed it all for me & helped pack.
Said I could have whatever else I wanted.
For this I paid the man $200.

He was given a Bugeye, so he bought this as a parts car.
The 948 that came with the Bugeye was no good, so he is going to install a motorcycle engine. He hopes to get 80 MPG.
He's not going to hack anything up, so the standard motor can be installed any time.

This guy has such a great shop, he has some really cool projects. He builds cars, and seems to want to do things that just defy -
Like, a 50's pickup truck with a big V8 Caddy engine mounted in the bed. Seriously. I was there, I saw it - a mid engine pickup.

Anyway - he will give the rest of the Midget to anyone who will come & take the whole thing. Load it on your trailer & go.
There are a lot of good parts in this thing ( all removed & put in the trunk or in boxes) and the sheet metal is all good.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
congratulations! can hardly wait to see it on the car - especially the bonnet

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
My daughter is after me to paint the car some color other than brown. The brown doesn't really bother me, but it seems to offend her.

I went to the new Harbor Freight store today, saw what they were offering in the way of paint tools. I really don't know what to buy. They have a gun that says it's for automobile painting, I have a compressor already. They also have a separate filter / regulator that says it improves results.
Can I get a recommendation for what to buy there?

I could buy it and then practice on some of the old sheet metal I have already cluttering up the place.

Oh, I bought the 6 inch orbital sander & some sanding pads to go with it.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I doubt he gets anywhere near 80. 50 is doable, the Brits have already maximized on that. He should get in touch with some of them. I am still thinking steam with my junk midget. I remember one guy got just a bit over 130 with his kerosene fired car. People don't realize that steam technology has changed so much from the Train days. They now use flash boilers that are heated tubes and the water is pumped in and becomes steam immediately, so there is no huge boiler and turbines are more efficient than steam pistons, though this guy has one big double acting cylinder. No gears and it would do the same speed in reverse :laugh:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
RickB said:
My daughter is after me to paint the car some color other than brown. The brown doesn't really bother me, but it seems to offend her.

I went to the new Harbor Freight store today, saw what they were offering in the way of paint tools. I really don't know what to buy. They have a gun that says it's for automobile painting, I have a compressor already. They also have a separate filter / regulator that says it improves results.
Can I get a recommendation for what to buy there?

I could buy it and then practice on some of the old sheet metal I have already cluttering up the place.

Oh, I bought the 6 inch orbital sander & some sanding pads to go with it.

which is why my car is now OEW and not Chartreuse - my wife hated it - and she gets to pick.

Don't know a lot about paint guns except that HVLP is the way to go and I think at the restoration/ tools the thought seems to be that HF guns aren't good enough - but that you can get a good one for not too much money

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]What motor cycle engine is he considering?[/QUOTE]

I believe he mentioned it, but I immediately forgot.
I was a bit awestruck by all his stuff. Eye popping experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]my wife hated it - and she gets to pick[/QUOTE]

The consensus here is that dark BRG would be the way to go.
I kind of lean towards red, but the others like BRG.

I believe for now I will simply go with rattle can brown to match the car as is. I need to drive this car after all, not put it away for a long time working on it.

I suppose I could rattle can it BRG a little bit at a time...
Or get one of those HVLP spray guns & some "real paint".

For right now I need to get my hind end out back & see how well that new sander works.