• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just installed LED headlights in BN2

Martinld123

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I just installed BN2 Headlights from Moss Motors. They seem to work great but wish I knew how much less amps they draw than the original and also I am not sure of best way to align headlights. Any ideas? Thanks Marty

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Here's a comparison from https://www.aa1car.com/library/electrical_amp_loads.htm: (Sorry about the bold; it came with the copy & paste.)

Headlights (halogen low beam) - 8 to 9 amps per pair

Headlights (halogen high beam) - 9 to 10 amps per pair
Headlights (halogen high and low beams combined) - 17 to 19 amps
Headlights (High Energy Discharge) - 12 to 14 amps during initial start, 7 to 8 amps once bulbs are hot
Headlights (LED) - 0.6 to 1 amps per bulb

Here's info on alignment: https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a257/how-to-adjust-lights/

OP
Martinld123

Martinld123

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks your information was a big help. I will try to get out to the garage and check beam aim tonight. Thanks Again, Marty

jimmyr

Country flag
Moss seems to only list halogen 7 inch headlamps, and I seem not able to find the LED ones anywhere. LED types would be great on the generator equipped Healeys. Possibly the positive ground systems may not work on the standard LED lamps?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Moss seems to only list halogen 7 inch headlamps, and I seem not able to find the LED ones anywhere. LED types would be great on the generator equipped Healeys. Possibly the positive ground systems may not work on the standard LED lamps?
The Moss conversions (choice of with or without headlamps) is here: https://mossmotors.com/led-conversion-kits-for-7-h4-headlamps. According to the descrip[tion, they are dual polarity.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Marty,

A while back, I installed Halogen sealed beams along with an alternator, some upgraded wiring and relays that, in combination, provide plenty of power and light for safe night driving. However, it was not long before many of the on-coming cars had high output lighting with sharp cut-offs and my Healey's driving position seemed to put me under the cut-off beam and in line with the brightest portion of their on-coming beam. As a result, driving at night is less safe than ever and I stopped driving my Healey after dark.

I can agree that LED head lamps are more power efficient than standard original sealed beams and do provide far greater road light. However, today, since I refrain from driving my Healey at night, even my modest expenditure of $13 per Halogen sealed beam along with the $85 in alternator and odds and ends (designed the alternator mounting) present less value and, at my present level of use, will last forever.

So, not to be negative but, I am anxious to learn what benefits you expect from your lighting upgrade?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Headlights

LED - 0.6 to 1 amps per bulb----WOW: --Thanks John

Your dynamo gonna just love you.

N Ray!

Just think now you can drive your Healey, head lights on in the day time just like the newer car folks do-----LOL

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Keoke,

You are right. I do drive with the head lights on during the day and its the only time the lights are used by me. However, my wife doesn't have the problem and can drive the Healey at night. They do work well.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
Martinld123

Martinld123

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Sorry I have been gone for a few weeks. They are in front of Moss catalog page A5 for $169. Look around I have seen them for less but different name. Lots of them on Internet but need to do homework so as to get the best ones. Moss units work great with my generator. Run during day for safety. Best thing I have put on my car in years. Marty

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Sorry I have been gone for a few weeks. They are in front of Moss catalog page A5 for $169. Look around I have seen them for less but different name. Lots of them on Internet but need to do homework so as to get the best ones. Moss units work great with my generator. Run during day for safety. Best thing I have put on my car in years. Marty

Marty,

Is your car still (righteous) positive ground?

Bob

OP
Martinld123

Martinld123

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Sorry I was gone for couple weeks. I now run like you said during day with lights on for safety. I think my generator loves them. There seems like many types out there to chose from so need to do homework. These are in front of Moss catalog on page A5. Marty

OP
Martinld123

Martinld123

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
No, negative ground but these LED head lights will work with positive ground also. From Moss name is Stella Lux led conversion at $169 on page A5 in catolag. Marty

OP
Martinld123

Martinld123

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
My big reason for using low amp LED was so I could use with my generator during day and night. I want to be seen during the day. Very low amp draw.
Hi Marty,

A while back, I installed Halogen sealed beams along with an alternator, some upgraded wiring and relays that, in combination, provide plenty of power and light for safe night driving. However, it was not long before many of the on-coming cars had high output lighting with sharp cut-offs and my Healey's driving position seemed to put me under the cut-off beam and in line with the brightest portion of their on-coming beam. As a result, driving at night is less safe than ever and I stopped driving my Healey after dark.

I can agree that LED head lamps are more power efficient than standard original sealed beams and do provide far greater road light. However, today, since I refrain from driving my Healey at night, even my modest expenditure of $13 per Halogen sealed beam along with the $85 in alternator and odds and ends (designed the alternator mounting) present less value and, at my present level of use, will last forever.

So, not to be negative but, I am anxious to learn what benefits you expect from your lighting upgrade?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Marty,

That is an excellent reason for doing your conversion. Although I would have preferred keeping the generator, I had issues also with the voltage regulator and the alternator conversion provided excellent power for my lights and sound system as well as eliminated the need for an external working voltage regulator (VR incorporated in the Alternator. The external VR is still installed but gutted and only used as a convenient wiring connection point for power distribution).

If I had a good voltage regulator and the LED headlights were as good then as today, I may also have opted to keep the generator and go LEDs. Not sorry I went alternator and do enjoy driving with the Beach Boys harmonizing to my exhaust note.

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)