• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just how good was the Jaguar E-Type?

Country flag
Hello Neighbor! As a long time and current E type owner, there's nothing like it style wise. Wish the Brits had used a little better quality steel in them so they wouldn't rust so easy. There are a few things that are not e greatest. Wiring being to worst thing that comes to my mind. Brakes would be my second issue. The y are better than money in the bank right now.

Marv

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Joe, welcome to BCF. Just a friendly reminder about our >> rules :

1. Do not post SPAM

2. Do not join to re-direct our members to some other forum or commercial site unless you are a paid supporting vendor, or have prior approval.

We don't mind the occasional re-direct, but we have the above rules because we have had spammers who join our forums for no other reason than to spam the site with links to their own sites. I would ask that you start here by posting an intro of yourself in our "New Members" forum. That way you can explain who you are, what you do, and what your interest is in British cars.

By the way, not too long ago, I used to make frequent trips to Huntsville on business. In fact, I bought my current Hyundai Santa Fe at Decatur Hyundai and drove it back home to New Mexico.

OP
C

CoffeeTalkJoe

Yes sir......I understand completely. :smile: I love the Huntsville area! I sure will do the New Member intro.....thanks, Joe

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have only had my E-Type a few years but thoroughly enjoy everything about it. It sat for a decade or two before I got it so there were the usual things to take care of to make it a reliable driver but I have found it fairly easy to work on -- especially compared to the Italian cars of the era.

Have had no problems with the electrics - but then I suspect like Lucas in general, poor maintenance and dirty connections cause problems that lead some to blame the design itself.

I was fortunate to have no rust to contend with - now, of course, it is easy to keep it that way in the desert Southwest.

I just did the rear brakes and, once you get your head around dropping the entire rear end, the job was simplicity itself. Put the whole IRS on the lift cross-ways and was able to work on it sitting down.

GeoIRS_zpsc0e7a659.jpg

In the past 60 days I drove the car 3,000 miles and enjoyed every one of them. It is also my wife's favorite which makes it all that much better.

I happen to know the car pictured in that article -- saw it just a few weeks ago at a gathering of E-Types in Phoenix. It sold at Barrett-Jackson last year for strong money:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1970-JAGUAR-XKE-ROADSTER-137726

Good looking car though as I recall the Regency Red paint was done in a metallic which would not be my choice.

Yes, the E-Types get a lot of recognition for their great styling, but the real beauty in my eyes is that wonderful XK engine:

EngineRH_zpsca80c0d7.jpg

OP
C

CoffeeTalkJoe

Wow....thanks for sharing your story and the info about the car!! $80,000 is some good money ans I loved the color on it myself :smile:

Country flag
$80k for a Series Two is strong money. Series one in that shape would be over a $100k. I'll hold mine for a few more years unless someone offers me a wad for it.

Marv

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I've owned three E types and currently own a 67 with the covered headlights. I stayed away from the earlier cars , the gearbox , seats , brakes , electrical are much improved in the 65-67 yrs. I don't know about it being the "best" ever made but I sure do feel on top of the world when I'm behind the wheel . They do everything right; the ride, handling , power, sound , comfort and nothing compares to one from the standpoint of outright style. There are a lot more wires than my Healey has but other than that , the electrical is pretty straightforward. The interior is cramped for a larger driver that would normally fit into a Corvette of the same era with ease. These cars were designed to be completely taken apart for service and inspection to keep in top shape, its the price you pay to play with them. The whole front of the car comes apart to replace the clutch and the whole rear to replace the brake shoes ! Only the British... They were way too cheap when new and most owners couldn't afford to maintain one . Getting the respect they deserve in the marketplace now however.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Depends on how you define best car ever, certainly not the fastest (even though very quick for its day), most practical or most reliable, but I certainly think it could qualify as most desirable of all time. I have never owned one, but I have driven a couple, I know if I won the lottery or if someone said you could have any car you want, my only questions would be 3.8 or 4.2? convertible or coupe?

OP
C

CoffeeTalkJoe

Sometimes my wife will say its fashion over function if we are headed out for the night, she will say "so what if its cold, I have to look good" I guess showing off her design. So, its kind of like the Jaguar E-Type is doing the same......the Iconic car always has displayed incredible fashion over function :smile: (The E-Types cryptonite has been the mechanical/electrical issues)