• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC Just bought an MGC!

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hello BCFers

I've been off the forum for a number of years since I didn't have any British cars in my stable. But just the other day I was lucky enough to be the highest bidder on an eBay auction for a sweet 1969 C. Yeah it needs some work but nothing that I can't handle. Per the owner the engine is a runner and the trans shifts smooth. So, at least I won't have to rebuild either of those for a while, "fingers crossed".

So I'm back and I'm sure I'll have lots to talk about and ask about. I'm sure I'll need some advice from any other C owners out there.

Glad to be back.
Kev
aka 69MGC

s-l1600.jpg

number6

Jedi Trainee
I agree with Grantura, I have two, parts car and a runner. Check the servos. I probably had more trouble with the brakes, than anything else.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on the new MGC! :cheers:

Picture looks decent, hope the car measures up when it arrives.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So do I. When I talked with the guy that sold it to me he said that there wasn't any rust except for a small patch in the trunk just under the tail light. So if that is true then the car has been a great buy.

Kev

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I agree with Grantura, I have two, parts car and a runner. Check the servos. I probably had more trouble with the brakes, than anything else.

I'm going to either rebuild or buy new servos just in case. Probably going to go through the whole braking system and upgrade parts and rebuild as necessary.

Kev

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Kev, let us know what you find regarding the brakes after you get it. There's a lot of experience here, and I'm sure these guys can help you figure out what's best to do and what's most economical. I'm not a babe in the woods when it comes to working on cars, but I've found that getting to know a new kind of car is still sometimes a task. There are all kinds of little bits of info that you acquire, but it can take time.

Oh, and congrats on your purchase. It looks like a lovely car.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll be sure to post questions when I get the car.

Yeah, I kinda feel bad for the guy that I got it so cheap. I half expected it to go for at least $8-9K maybe more. Imagine my surprise when I snuck in during the last 2 minutes of the auction and posted my max bid and when I didn't see another out bid warning I about fell out of my chair.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's the way an auction works -- you pays your money and you takes your chances. Well bought indeed.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I just saw my new MGC for the first time in person yesterday and I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised as to the condition of the car. It was more than I expected. No serious rust except for a small hole in the trunk just behind the drivers side tail light which looks to be an easy fix. The car came to California from Michigan. There is evidence of some rear quarter panel rot that was taken care of by what looks to be a professional body man, so that's good. The interior just needs a bit of cleanup, the seat covers appear to be the original leather with no cracks or stiffness. Probably could use a new carpet kit someday but for a weekend fun car (which is what I intend to use it for) it's perfectly acceptable.

The engine I was told is strong and starts right up. The brakes will need a good going through and I'll probably buy a new set of Boosters as the ones on the car are original and I've been told that the replacements are affordable and better. The car has just over 52K miles on it which the owner thinks is fairly accurate, but even if it's a bit more than that the car shows some good care. It had been resprayed once from new in the original red color, it shows decently and with a bit of polish should shine right up. I spotted a few minor nicks and scrapes but those should be easy to deal with.

It has painted wires with what appears to be the original tires that came on the car when new. Anybody want some wall art? LOL The guy I bought it from worked for British Leyland in New Jersey way back when and was very familiar with the ins and outs of the car and what was original and what wasn't.

So with a bit of elbow grease, a few new parts and rebuilds I will have a very presentable C to enjoy my golden years with.

I'll keep you all informed as to the progress of getting her back on the road for some fun.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent! I've found that period between purchase (or official intent) and first viewing to be nerve wracking. The relief when you finally look it over in person is palpable.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Would rebuild the original units. They all work the same when correct. These are rare vehicles and you need to keep it as it was delivered.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Would rebuild the original units. They all work the same when correct. These are rare vehicles and you need to keep it as it was delivered.

I'll take that under advisement. I want to keep it as original as possible. Not to worry.