• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

July in San Diego

Country flag
Who is planning to go to the San Diego gathering next July? We are planning our vacations for next year and have never been to a BIG gathering and don't know what to expect. I'm sure I'd like it but I want to be fair to my wife (I don't have that many Healey credits in the time bank).
TH

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Expect lots of Austin Healeys. The big meet in Lake Tahoe had nearly 600 cars on the grass. San Diego might be just as popular. Expect a Gymkana event, at least one T&D rally, a lot of food and drink, beautiful weather, a huge popular choice car show, concourse judging as well, trophies awarded (almost always to the wrong people).
Then of course there's San Diego - a beautiful town with tons of stuff to do and see. Since it is so close to LA I would expect a big Southern Calif. turnout.

Randy '66 BJ8

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well TH, What can expected is a lot of cars and a lot of people. There will be car oriented activities and there will be alternative options for the attendees. What you plan to do after you get there is strictly up to you and the Missus.--Fwiw--Keoke

tiga2

Jedi Trainee
I am planning on going out for sure, trailering out from NM, I will hit Cars & Coffee in Irvine the Sat before, I just have see one of those!
Not too keen on the Gymkana events, a real autocross would be more fun.

It is my old "home town" so lots of friends and family to stay with.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Me and hubby are also planning on attending. This will be our first conclave. Not only are we looking forward to it but Agatha A Healey is as well. We'll be leaving from the Albuquerque area. We will also be trailering as driving through the desert in late June is not my cup of tea although we could probably do a pot or two on the radiatior.

Perhaps we New Mexicans will find each other.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I'll be driving down from here in Portland, in the car in my signature. Planning to take three days.

The Austin-Healey Club of America's Conclave is the world's largest annual gathering of Healeys and Healey enthusiasts. Don't miss it!

The only thing wrong with it is that it isn't long enough. I always find myself wanting more time to visit with people. And even if you're new to the event and don't know a lot of the people there, don't worry: you won't be alone and you'll make plenty of new friends before it's over.

See you there! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Is it acceptable to spend only 3 or 4 days there do to visiting family obligations in So. Cal or will I miss to much. The web menu doesn't sound so exciting. I like driving fun roads in groups and not the Gymkhana and Funkhanas so much. I just don't know what to expect.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Well, normally the driving events at a Conclave - apart from the competitive events such as a gymkhana, a "funkhana," and perhaps a rally and even the occasional hill climb - usually consist of some organized tours to local attractions, self-guided tours where groups of people get together and drive to local attractions on their own schedule, and the trip to and from the event. There are usually organized groups of cars traveling to the event, and a post-Conclave tour that you can join in.

That said, like pretty much ALL car club meetings, it is fundamentally a social event, and so there is social time and group meals in the schedule.

It's perfectly acceptable to spend as little or as much time there as you like. If you plan to combine the trip with family visits in the area, you should be able to schedule things so that you can make whatever elements of the event you like best. The car show ("Popular Choice" or "People's Choice") is usually a highlight - it's a relaxing time with lots of cars and lots of people, so most people really make a day of it. Bring a couple of folding chairs if you like.

Since you've never been to a Conclave I would just add that they can be addictive. At first you might be hesitant to go, but after you do go to one, and you meet some people, and you see and participate in the fun, it's very likely you'll want to get to all of them.

I hope to you see there!