• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jacking my midget?

arnaud111

Freshman Member
Hiya!

A Great forum btw!!

I have a few questions to ask please! Ive got a 1979 1500 Midget. I have just a normal jack that will not fit into the jack holes found on the sills. Wheres the best place to jack the car without using these holes??

Also how can I measure, drain and replace the gearbox oil??

Last one, what size spanner do I need for the oil sump drain plug??

Many thanks!!!!

Arnaud!

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: arnaud111 ]</p>

John Staub

Welcome to the board!!

As to the jacking, I don't have a Midget, but I assume it is similar to the B. I jack my B at the rear differential and at the front crossmember. I place my jackstands under the axle housing (careful of the possibility of brake lines, etc.) and along the sills at the front (just behind the front tires).

Draining the differential is a fairly straightforward process. There should be a plug at the bottom of the differential. Ensure you have a drain pan in place, and unscrew the plug on the bottom of the differential. Once drained, replace the plug and fill through the fill-plug, possibly located on the back of the differential housing. Sorry, I don't have the sizes available.

You may want to consider purchasing both the Haynes manual and the Bentley workshop manual for your car. Between the two of them, they pretty well cover most aspects of maintaining/repairing our beloved LBC's.

Hope this helps.

John

kmcormick9

do you mean the diff or the gearbox? john told you how to do the diff, the gearbox plug is on the bottom of the tranny, easy to see when your under the car. on my midget, all the plugs are square and a pair of adjustable locking pliers did me just fine

OP
A

arnaud111

Freshman Member
Thanks guys for your replies!!

Is it safe to jack the car then under the sills? I dont want to distort the floor pan you see! Just strikes me as easier than jacking the rear differential!

How do I refill the gearbox oil then, and check I have the right amount in???

Thanks guys!!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
On the gearbox, fill it until it overflows....the oil should be up to the level of the side fill plug...it's kind of a messy job (be sure your car is level when you fill it).

I jack up my car all the time with a non-standard floor jack. I put a piece of 1 foot by 1 foot plywood between the jack and the sill, so that the sill doesn't get damaged (actually, I have a piece of plywood with an old piece of carpet stapled to it). You can jack it directly under the jack holes on the sill

William

Darth Vader
On my '76 Midget, I used to place a standard floor jack (and jackstands) on the front spring hangers (the sort of box-like structure that the front or engine end of the springs). Seemed a bit safer than just the sills, or just the rear diff.
-William

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
I believe there's a Federal and possibly International law that states that "All owners of classic British autos must own and have at hand a Haynes and or a Bentley manual" just for such questions. AND if that fails you take the advice of those of us who have by trial and error "been there; Done that".
I have jacked my Midget in several locations with no harm...if jacked properly.
The sills under the jacking points: I have used only a service station styled jack (not a bottle or scissor style) WITH a piece of 2x4 wood approx 10+ inches long (to spread the weight) on the jack pad between the sill and the jack. Keep in mind that the sill locations were designed for changing tires not for mechanical work. The sills will hold the weight but should not be lifted higher than just the tires "off the ground".
The "rear end"/ differential location: again using the same style jack, I have raised the vehicle. Again using a piece of wood as a cushion this time. The bottom of the diff has the drain plug in it and one would not wish to scar/damage/destroy that plug (by the way mine has a square inset hole that fits a 1/2 inch breaker bar/ratchet... probably not the recomended tool via bentley or Haynes or MG... but works). Then get it to needed height and use a set of jack stands to support it and remove the jack.
Front end: thare is a cross beam just in front of the oil pan that I have used (with the same jack and 6 to 10 inch piece of wood) to raise the vehicle in front. Of course use jack stands and remove the jack before working.
That is what I have done on numerous occasions without any damage or even scratches. Bentley and Haynes will suggest purchasing the proper MG authorized wrenches and jacking with professional equip... When affordable and available; I too would suggest the same.
If available and if the project will allow for room (ie don't need to remove the wheels) I have also used a set of well built auto ramps. I have mine mounted onto a 5ft piece of 2x12 for stability and for 2" more lift.
Cheers and welcome, Steven

RHWins

I agree with Steve. Use of wood reduces (eliminates) damage to what you jack against. I would not recommend jacking on the differential, even though the rear only weighs a couple of hundred pounds. Jacking at the suspension points or on the frame members ought to be the safest, and don't short cut using jack stands! And watch for those brake and fuel lines.

You will always find help at this web site, but you will enjoy the car more if you get the Haynes, Chiltons or Bentley manual.

Also, join one of the British car clubs in your area. Enjoy! Life can be sweet.

RHWins

On my MG B, that front cross member is stamped, not solid, not great for lifting, especially without a long piece of wood, and who's got the room for clearance? Might be stamped steel, rather than the solid iron it appears to be on the Midget, too

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
Please note that the use of jack stands are for stability and yes, should be placed in stable positions (ie under the spring/axle attachment for example). BUT NEVER.. REPEAT THAT... NEVER work under any vehicle supported by a jack only.
A bottle jack and a scissor jack have very small bases.. approx 2 1/2 inches square and have been known to topple with someone "just leaning on the car alittle". A "service station" style jack is normally four wheeled and has a base area in excess of8 inches by 24 inches (many are larger but few smaller). More stability than bottle or scissor when working under a vehicle. Small jacks for changing tyres are for just that... do not trust them. Jack stands are for stablizing a vehicle after it has been jacked. Stablize it and remove the jack ( whatever type) before you crawl under it.
Use good equipment when you are UNDER a vehicle... good jack/good heavy duty jack stands/ and a stable surface on which to use both. Tilted driveways, soft grassy yards, gravel areas and the like will result in flowers being sent to the hospital or worse.
The only problem with service style jacks is the fact that they ARE larger and will not fit in some locations. They cost around $30.00 and up but are worth it. The scissor jack in your trunk is for changing tyres.
This may all be redundant to your own knowledge but safety is paramount... even under a LBC

SteveT

Jedi Hopeful
Can not agree with Steve more. I am in the process of rebuilding my rear suspension and without the use of quality jack stands, in the right place, this job would be fatal. Please always use the proper equipment for the job; you'll live longer and, be able to enjoy your LBC for years to come.
smile.gif

OP
A

arnaud111

Freshman Member
Hi!

Many thanks for all your replies!

I only intend to jack my car to take the wheels off, in order to get to the wheel arches more easily- so I can spray wax oyl! I intend to jack it under the sills using a big piece of wood!! (Thanks hadnt thought about using a piece of wood)

Does anyone know how can I insert the oil into the gearbox? as I can't pour it in?! I also have some car ramps, someone mentioned the car has to be level, but would this do? Just makes the job easier!!

many thanks!

Arnaud!

G

I have a large pump that looks like a syringe that I use for the tranny. Get em at the autoparts store

RHWins

That famous mother of invention reared her head last summer. I fished a discarded water bottle out of the trash, and borrowed a length of rubber hose from something, (maybe the "custom" spill over hose from the overflow resavoir). It is not too hard to shove the rubber hose into the filler hole on the trans. At the other end, I cut off the bottom of the water bottle, hooked the hose to the "top", turned it upside down, and poured the trans fluid into the bottle which worked like a funnel. I added that "tool" to my garage for future use!

OP
A

arnaud111

Freshman Member
Hi Chuck!

From what I can see, the drain plug is located at the bottom and the refill plug is in the side! Do you think it will still drain efficiently when on car ramps??