Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
What kind of pads are you using? A good while back, there were some stock pads that had that problem. Replacing them was the cure. If yours are newer, that shouldn't be the problem.
I run the "Green" pads. I don't experience squeeling and they provide better braking. They are advertised as being cleaner though I haven't found that to be the case. Heavy brake dust is a good trade off for better braking.
Do you have the stock anti-squeal shims installed behind your pads? These are thin metal shims and need to be installed directionaly...there is an arrow on them I recall. I have them on my 73 and have no issues.
Have you tried to get your FLAPS to cross reference the anti squeal shims? I remember when I bought pads for my 75 Spitfire I was surprised by the number of cars they fit when I read the box.
When I had that problem with my TR3A, I bought some "cut to fit" shims at my FLAPS that worked well. They were just soft sheets of aluminum with adhesive backing, that could be cut to size with scissors and glued on the back of the pads.
Another trick that sometimes works is to use a file to bevel the leading edge of the pads a bit.
If all else fails, new pads may be the only cure. When you do, be sure to scuff up the rotor surface and clean it thoroughly.
BTW, TRF shows the shims on sale at the moment, which probably means they are in stock
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.