• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I've been hosed

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I went for a quick ride last evening I got about 2 blocks from home when I heard a sequel from eng compartment . Knew instantly it was the belt but why?
pulled over and looked and there was coolant in arch about at rad fitting latitude
so went home figured I'd deal with it today.
started it up no leaks...
ran it tilll the thermostat opened still no leaks...
reved her to about 2 3 grand and there it was a hole in that infernal bypass hose .
pretty much deflated at this point .
so it's either remove the water pump or an acordane style hose which don't last and which being the end of driving season I'm not going to salvage any drive time this year so pretty sure that's out .
soo.... the question is what have others done in this situation
I'm leaning at get new hoses but I was wondering if there where any of the silicone ones availed for this bypass?
i would think it would at last others maybe even an acordian ?
is there a technic to get a real hose in there?

OP
SD Bugeye

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I found one silicone fiber reinforced not black but eh kind of hidden also getting the rest with heater delete black silicone.
the last one. S hould be here wed, should last a long time.
funny how time can get away from you. That hose and the others are 16 years old .
grabing my neighbor and checking brack hoses tommrow evening .

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The accordion hose as well as reinforced hearted hoses can be installed without removing the head. Silicone hoses are very stiff and rigid, so you'll need either the head or the water pump off to install one.

I think you were lucky to get that many tears out of one of the accordion hoses from the usual suspects. The one time I encountered one in the last decade or so, the hose didn't even last a couple hundred miles. The problem is, they are not reinforced in any way.

bypassHose.jpg~320x480.jpeg

nomad

Yoda
I worried a regular heater hose in there. Not easy but not impossible. As i remember I cut it a bit short and used old screw drivers and homemade tools to do it.

Kurt.

Desert Rat

Country flag
I had the same problem Saturday. I used the regular accordion hose from the usual suspects. Curious to see how you get on with the silicon hose.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yup, that's the one I have. I wasn't happy with the clamps that came with it, they wouldn't tighten so I used some smaller ones I had in the tool box.

Good point with the clamps. I didn't discover how bad they were until coolant started spraying out of the block connection.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Didn't someone here on this forum plug the bypass line? Surprisingly, the bypass line never gave me any issues on my car. The hose that gave me problems was the "Y" hose that the heater return flows into.

matmire

I was also able to work a regular heater hose in there without removing the water pump. Fit the hose fully onto one of the barbs, then bend the hose to press it onto the other end. It went on pretty easily.

Desert Rat

Country flag
, Good point with the clamps. I didn't discover how bad they were until coolant started spraying out of the block connection.

I'm positive that would have happened to me. While I was in there I decided to check the rest of the hoses, called my dad and he couldn't remember when he changed them so I pulled the radiator and gave everything the once over. For peace of mind I just changed out all the hoses and noticed the bypass the clamps bottomed out and I could wiggle the hose. I used some fuel injection hose clamps I had since they are identical to what Moss ships with their hose.

OP
SD Bugeye

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well we shall see how this silicone one works out
Brake lines are all excellent clutch good.
fuel eh will change in the spring need to get the one that is between the HS2'S replaced
honestly have no idea how old it is will replace with an original looking braided one just because.

nomad

Yoda
Didn't someone here on this forum plug the bypass line? Surprisingly, the bypass line never gave me any issues on my car. The hose that gave me problems was the "Y" hose that the heater return flows into.

If I have the head off I put a piece of shafting inside the hose big enough not to get past the fittings so that the bypass is plugged. Either that or have the machine shop plug the one in the head because you can never get the barb out. You can tap and plug the pump or some pumps come without a water hole drilled. At any rate the bypass was designed to work with a British thermostat that hasn't been available for years. The idea was that the thermostat would allow coolant to bypass for faster warm up but when the engine came up to temp the thermostat would then block off the bypass hole in the head.

Stopping that bypass can only help with cooling.

Kurt.

OP
SD Bugeye

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well the hose arrived yesterday even had a set of clamps nice smallish in size more fuel line like not the gear hose clamp.
they seem stout and with being smallish should help when putting the hose in.
hose it's self is a blueish purple silicone amd it has an embedded fiber glass belt.
It too appears fairly stout almost a third again as thick as the Cheepos.
so next weekend I'll put it in.

OP
SD Bugeye

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So I finally made time today to change the bypass hose .
i didnt even try and do anything without removing the radiator.
glad I did it actually went really well.
my advise to all that are putting this hose in is don't get the rubber one from the usual suspects .
they are truly aweful my guess is that if your a driver the hot dry air rots these at an excelerated rate being in direct air flow.
im sure all the miles I put on it in Texas didn't help but wow this hose and the top rad hose on the bottom side are toast .
if your going to drive yours as I do mine I suggested getting these silicone hoses.
i know its Blue yuk color but the upper and lower are avaible in black.

IMG_0482.jpgIMG_0483.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 62

nomad

Yoda
The one you replaced looks like an original. The cheapo replacements are not nearly that nice unless they have changed. The one I had fail had no fabric at all in it. The silicones look like they will do the job!

Kurt.

OP
SD Bugeye

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I bought that hose from moss about April 2000
only lasted 16 years horrible ! :wink-new:
It's just in a nasty spot and with this in there going forward its going to be some one else's problem.

Desert Rat

Country flag
I agree with your idea that the hot dry air rots these prematurely, that seems to be the case out here anyway. Where did you source the silicone hose from? I've looked and haven't seen that one. I'd give one a go the next time mine blows out.

OP
SD Bugeye

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Found it on flea bay a guy that goes by carcrazie51
I don't think it was more 10 15 dollars