• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It's just a little crack

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey guys,
Remember my previous post about the bondo cracking of the top of the left wing. I also pointed out to the body shop that there is a little crack in the front aluminum.

Well, the body shop told me to take the bright work off the front, including the bumper. What about the stainless steel wing bead? You can leave that on. Also leave the windshield on.

I disagree. The strip and the windshield should come off, so that the clear will wrap around the edges. The more I deal with this body shop, the more I find he cuts corners or is simply lazy. Not a good feeling.

How's that saying go, if you want something done right...

Here's today's photo of my car. I need to put the door back on, then it's ready for the body shop Monday.

And to think, I finally got my car back 3 months ago, and it took me that long to put her together. Now look at her. I'll tell you one thing, I'm really getting to know how she is put together and how to take her apart. This photo, total dismantle time was, about 5 hrs. Gentlemen, start your engines. Roger

Country flag
awesome workshop!

Amazing how quickly you can take a car apart...

247154-8-23-06apartingarage001.jpg

Here's what I did to one of my cars earlier this summer...

IMG_5818.jpg

... it has since been painted (very satisfactorily) and put back together. Its big public debut will be this coming Sunday when it arrives in South Carolina prior to the BMW Roadster Homecoming held at the BMW Manufacturing plant in Spartanburg.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Roger, I don't like the smell of your body guy's position at all. You have way too much invested in this, time, money and angst, to have his short cut his way to cleaning up his mess. I guess this is why it was full of bondo to begin with.

There doesn't seem to be any way the repair can be done with the windshield on, as I recall that the crack was right at the edge. You've put enormous effort into this restoration, and for him to treat it with such carelessness would push me over the edge. Personally, I would put my foot down because you don't want this happening again, or other problems, a year or two from now. By then, with the car all together and your "guarantee" over, you can bet that he's not going to suddenly become any more concerned about doing it right then he is now. And you surely didn't go through all this to end up with a half-azz restoration that only last a couple of years. Stop it now before you spend the next 10 years regretting it.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey Scott,
I feel ya.
I am expecting him to comment on I said you didn't need to remove the windshield and beading. I will answer with, I don't want to take any chances and want the best repair possible. Doesn't this make your job easier? No tapeing and now the clear will wrap around the edges.

The plan is to let him finish these repairs. God knows what good his guarantee is and his laziness. I just want to finish my car, get it the heck out of there and hope for the best down the road. In the meantime, I will be looking for yet another body shop for future repairs.

As far as putting my foot down, I've contacted the BAR and explained my situation. So when Monday comes and I get into it with him, I'm a little more up to speed on what he can and can't get away with. Plus the BAR can ride him on doing quality work and not let him make me accept less.

Ya know folks, you try your best to find good people and try to be nice when times become difficult. As I tell my friends, I must be learning something here. I think it's patience, tolerance, negotiation and how to keep my temper. They say good things happen to good people. This restoration is certainly testing me. But I believe most go though this sort of thing some how along the way. How we deal with it, and the effort put in to keep her on track will be rewarded with the end product.
Cheers, Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif-ASUMHLY

---"They say good things happen to good people".

---Nope, "Only the good die young"----Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey Keoke,

You truely are Yoda.
How many times have we said, this restoration is killing me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
-----------Keoke--------------------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Keoke,

You truely are Yoda.
How many times have we said, this restoration is killing me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gifASUMHLY;

Bythe way, as I was looking at the picture of your car in that musuem, I noticed the cooling air duct does not have a straight line path to the scuttle fitting.I would suggest that you shorten it a bit and remove that floppy curve I see."If the duct is not of the proper type" [Floppy Cloth thing] "replace it with the correct material",its easy to do now that the fender is off.---Da YODA--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
Gents:

Both the "kink" in the"hose" is WRONG and so is [ QUOTE ]
Made of Poly-Butyl rubber.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheap, Yep. Correct, NOPE!! Not even CLOSE.

"Kopex" is what it should be. And I stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif
try to take a pic or two in a day or so.

Delay is:
I am arguing with a pinched Nerve at lumbar L3, L4(real offender) and L5. Xrays, MRI, EKG and blood panel prior to x-ray guided hypo<F>!! Can't sit for more than 5 mts and can't walk for more than 5 mts.!! And laying in bed is NOT one of my more stronger fortes!!! PITA!!! So PLEASE understand if I don't reply immediately!!
Get my x-ray guided hypo on Monday (wish it was sooner)!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
It's all in the details. I didn't think that having a bend would affect the air flow. But if a straight line will benifit, then straight it will be.

The hoses are new. Made of Poly-Butyl rubber.
Here's a link, if anyone is interested.

https://www.tomsimport.com/new/parts/parts.asp?sect=9&new=1

Cheers, Roger

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope not interested just order one from the usual suspects and it will be ok.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not enough air moves through the air hose anyway, so having extra bends will just make matters worse. The straighter the better. Just don't expect to get alot of cold air through it on a hot day. It most likely will be warm to hot, thanks to a hot engine compartment.

bighly

Jedi Knight
I know you put a ton of work in it. If it is of any consolation, driving it is the best enjoyment you will get from the car. You cannot see the exterior from behind the wheel and the more you enjoy it for what it was designed to do (drive) the more dings, chips, scratches etc the old girl will get. Hope you get sorted out with the cracks so we can see you on the road soon.

PS. I now have a 1/4 inch deep dent in my shroud from a substantial rock hit near Nelson BC during my 4,500 mile Healey run recently. I cant see it while driving.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Car is super looks like an advertisement cutaway from a magazine.

Now tell me what did you finish the floor with?

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Roger,
I have kept my mouth shut because I have never found a reason to disagree with Keoke, but the path of the air ducting in your car is close to correct. I do not disagree that Keoke may be right about the "straighter path" being more efficient, but if you are going for authentic, the tubes were bent. I have attached an image of my car before restoration began showing the tube's bend. Every other car I have seen that was original or close to it had this bend. However, I am the first to point out that my car is a BT7 so later cars might be different.

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Attachments

• 247952-justalittlerusty.jpg
    247952-justalittlerusty.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 78
OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Car is super looks like an advertisement cutaway from a magazine.

Now tell me what did you finish the floor with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jack,

I used Rustoleums floor kit. I bought two kits, for I have a two car garage.

Benifit of painting your floor:
Oil, gas, most anything will wipe off.
Reflects light back up, helping to light up the garage.
Looks nice.

cheers, Roger