• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It lives again...

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
OK, back at it. You Spit/Herald/GT6 guys should remember this: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...y_fo#Post589601 It's alive, it runs!

100_4760.jpg

100_4761.jpg

I will say it runs poorly but it is alive. bcliff is coming over tomorrow to help with some tuning. In the mean-time, I've been driving the crap out of this:

100_4765.jpg

So, I'm going to take my AFT pay and spend it on rockers, rear valance, and a paint job!

100_4767.jpg

Can anyone guess the new color? I hate white cars. Need to get a GT6. I know a guy in Wyoming...

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Nice to see it going again. As for the paint color I would say, british racing green or anything other then red. But if you want to sell it then I guess red would be the best color.

Just wait, I am a good one to talk. All for of my cars are red. It just happened that way.

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Andrew Mace said:
frankenstang57 said:
In the mean-time, I've been driving the crap out of this:

100_4765.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the problem...

andy3.jpg

:devilgrin:

I'm running this just as much as possible, now that the chassis has been welded!

Hey, my Herald didn't come with a removable hardtop like yours. :yesnod: The Spit is going to be sprayed black. I know it's not a factory color, but I think it'll work. Maybe a red interior? It'll live outside from here after.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Black WAS a factory color for the US market through at least 1966, and with a red interior it'll look great! I still have fond memories of a black Mk2 Spitfire that was shared by no fewer than five brothers in a local family (it wore out before the last three brothers got to enjoy it!) back in the late 1960s and early 1970s!

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
I thought Midnight Blue was as close as one could get to black. My bad. Black, black wheels with dog bowl hub caps, red interior. That'll do the trick...

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
DSC00538.JPG

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
frankenstang57 said:
I thought Midnight Blue was as close as one could get to black. My bad. Black, black wheels with dog bowl hub caps, red interior. That'll do the trick...
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">RED</span></span></span> wheels, man! :crazyeyes:

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Here's the proof:

TJNyW6g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Whooohoooo! Thanx to bcliff's mad tweaking skills it's running pretty good. Haven't taken it around the block yet but don't see any reason why it wouldn't make it. We had it running for about 20 minutes. On a side note, the motor appears to burn oil. I'm not sure how bad as of yet. It may go away with a bit of driving. Whoohooo! I needs to gets me a GT6! :jester:

Andy, do you know where I can get a really long shifter with a skull on it to go with the wheels?

32228030001_large.jpg

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
frankenstang57 said:
Andy, do you know where I can get a really long shifter with a skull on it to go with the wheels?
Y'know, you could do this if you REALLY wanted to: find a Triumph 10 gearbox and take its top cover and long shifter and plop them on your gearbox (presumably a three-synchro, three-rail type)! It'll be a bit more horizontal -- sorry I don't have a handy picture to show you what it looks like*, but I'll wager you could reshape it somewhat if you really wanted to! You're on your own, though, for skull-style shift knobs! :devilgrin:

*Basically, the shift lever on the 10 came up out of the gearbox a couple inches, then straight back about 47 feet
grin.gif
, and then up again to fall readily to your hand.

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Andrew Mace said:
frankenstang57 said:
Y'know, you could do this if you REALLY wanted to: find a Triumph 10 gearbox and take its top cover and long shifter and plop them on your gearbox (presumably a three-synchro, three-rail type)! It'll be a bit more horizontal -- sorry I don't have a handy picture to show you what it looks like*, but I'll wager you could reshape it somewhat if you really wanted to! You're on your own, though, for skull-style shift knobs! :devilgrin:

*Basically, the shift lever on the 10 came up out of the gearbox a couple inches, then straight back about 47 feet
grin.gif
, and then up again to fall readily to your hand.

Andy, you are a sick, sick man, my friend. I'm just going to paint the PE car flat black with rattle can flames. I'll take the chrome off with my angle grinder... All chrome must go! Maybe install a Big Block Chebby. Red wheels, right. Hehe, the wheels on the Spit are the roll around wheels from the Herald. I'm looking to get a set of skinnies and put them back on the Herald. Maybe I should build a Jeep powered Herald Crawler with 35's...

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I think you should glue red long haired fur around the dash and windshield to go with the rest of the look.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
frankenstang57 said:
Andy, you are a sick, sick man, my friend.
:crazyeyes:
frankenstang57 said:
I'm just going to paint the PE car flat black with rattle can flames. I'll take the chrome off with my angle grinder... All chrome must go! Maybe install a Big Block Chebby.
Ok, HOLD THE ED 'BIG DADDY' ROTH BUS!!! No need to do that; we could swap -- you and me -- for a candidate more worthy of THAT sort of treatment! :wink:
frankenstang57 said:
Red wheels, right. Hehe, the wheels on the Spit are the roll around wheels from the Herald. I'm looking to get a set of skinnies and put them back on the Herald. Maybe I should build a Jeep powered Herald Crawler with 35's...
How 'bout a Herald-powered Jeep Crawler?

Geesh, try to help a guy.... :devilgrin:

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
4x4.jpg

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
It may be time to do back to your MGB V-8 project. Leave the poor Herald and Spitfire alone and just drive them. :grouphug:

How bad is the smoke in that new engine?

What engine did you put in again?

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
It's an 1147 out of the $150 Herald I picked up in Nebraska. It's not smoking too bad. I'll know more once I start driving it...