• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It appears window has been left open!

mdionne

I need some advise on the purchase of a 59 bugeye. What should I look for or look out for. What should I ask about? He is asking $4500.00. The wife has been supportive and the window of opportunity is now open. Only problem is I am 2nd caller so I have to wait for the first caller to look at it. Here's the list of things the owner says he's done.

948 engine runs great
New master cylinder
New exhaust
All new drum brakes
New carpet
New panels
New front shocks
New dash cover
Rib case trans

Says it needs the following:

new right front pillar
new floor in trunk
new paint

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Going to look at it
Sunday, Hopefully.

Even if it is sold I will have learned one big important thing.....The wife approves!

OP
mdionne

mdionne

It's 1.5 hours from my home and first caller is coming in the morning. Owner says 1st caller has first shot at it.

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
mdionne said:
Even if it is sold I will have learned one big important thing.....<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #009900">The wife approves!</span></span>

That's the most important thing in this whole process!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mike, first of all congrats on a wonderful wife!!!! Put the jewellery store on speed dial, right after Moss Motors.

The car seems well priced for what it is but it isn't the bargain of the century. (I appreciate "strike while the iron is hot may factor in here) If you have to pay for body work and paint it will add up quickly!

Basically mechanics are the least of your worries - all is available and not real expensive. Interiors can get pricey - though it seems like stuff has been replaced.

The big issue is the body, and while it is all repairable, some rust likely means lots of rust. If the one pillar is gone, take a hard look at the other as well - and see what the metal behind the hinges looks like. Always check the sills. I would also take a look at the spring hangers as they seem awkward to repair or replace.

The bonnet is probably the most important thing to get right. Replacements, while available aren't cheap for a good one and even a good one won't fit like the original.

Good luck, keep your eyes open and if not this one, another will show up, I promise!

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'd say if you are happy with it and it will put a smile on your face, then go for it. The price is about right in my opinion. It just comes down to what you want, your expectations, and where you want to go with the project. But again, its just an opinion. I paid $3200 for my roach, but it makes the world better when I get in it and run it through the gears.

nomad

Yoda
I agree with JP, some rust usually means lots of rust. Rust and body work are tedious and expensive. Also unless you are into concours cars you may want to modify much of the mechanical work that has been done. Common change is drum brakes to disc and swapping in larger engine. Still its not so much that I would expect any big loss if you are stricken with love at first site. They did make far more bug eye's than any other model though!

Kurt.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
nomad said:
They did make far more bug eye's than any other model though!

Kurt.

Not quite true. Horler says 48,987 Mk1 - all configurations

72289 Rubber Bumper Midgets. Plus, even though individual "marks" show lower numbers, it is because production was split with Sprites and Midgets.

Nothing to do with the original thread though, get out to see that car!!!

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
If I were in the market for a Bugeye right now I would definitely persue an Arizona car first- transit may cost more but not more than replacing an A pillar!
BillM

nomad

Yoda
JPSmit said:
nomad said:
They did make far more bug eye's than any other model though!

Kurt.

Not quite true. Horler says 48,987 Mk1 - all configurations

72289 Rubber Bumper Midgets. Plus, even though individual "marks" show lower numbers, it is because production was split with Sprites and Midgets.

Nothing to do with the original thread though, get out to see that car!!!

Your right JP. Now I remember reading that as more than any other SPRITES.

Kurt.

OP
mdionne

mdionne

Thanks everyone for the advice! I looked at the car today. I did not buy it. Too much rust in all the wrong places. And that's what I could see! May be worth
a grand or so but not much more in my book.

Thanks again! I hope to find one without rust in all of those places in that same price range.

At least I established a price range that won't cost me several nights on the couch!

Mike

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
Smart move. There is only one reason to buy a Spridget - or any other old car - and that is for the pure enjoyment of owning it. Not much enjoyment there if SWMBO is putting the heat on because you made a bad deal. There are plenty of cars that come on the market. Cars that you can both enjoy. The one with your name on it is probably just down the road. :driving: