• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Issues with POR15

dklawson

Yoda
YankeeTR, I accept that applying POR-15 over sound metal simply by brushing it on and not preparing the surface (rusty or sound metal) is something you have successfully done and seen done as a former distributor of the product.

My comments are based on my own experience following the instructions that come with the product. Your comments are the second time I've been told to ignore what POR tells me to do in their published instructions.

I'm not disputing your results but they don't agree with the steps POR says are required. For those who are interested...

POR says you must etch bare (sound) metal. Read the steps on:
https://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/no%20read%20directions.pdf
and visit:
https://www.por15.com/bPOR-15sup-sup-Rust-Preventive-Paint-b?sc=2&category=140
to see pictures of their recommended process.

POR says Chassicoat is not the same product as POR-15 and does not offer the same protection. See:
https://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/chassiscoat%20directions.pdf
and read their Q/A section.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
The next time I re- do my floors {If I ever have to} I`m thinking something like a spray on bed liner {zbart or rihno liner} on both sides.
This last time I had the whole tub bead blasted clean. For the floorpans I used metal prep then red oxide primer then had undercoating sprayed on both sides inside and out. I use the same treatment for the tire wells on the tub as well as the inner fenders, spare tire compartment and inside the trunk compartment. I am happy with the results It look pleasing to the eye. Now only if it will hold up under use.
Kerry
56 TR-3 TS 12909 L.O.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
dklawson said:
YankeeTR, I accept that applying POR-15 over sound metal simply by brushing it on and not preparing the surface (rusty or sound metal) is something you have successfully done and seen done as a former distributor of the product.

My comments are based on my own experience following the instructions that come with the product. Your comments are the second time I've been told to ignore what POR tells me to do in their published instructions.

I'm not disputing your results but they don't agree with the steps POR says are required. For those who are interested...

POR says you must etch bare (sound) metal. Read the steps on:
https://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/no%20read%20directions.pdf
and visit:
https://www.por15.com/bPOR-15sup-sup-Rust-Preventive-Paint-b?sc=2&category=140
to see pictures of their recommended process.

POR says Chassicoat is not the same product as POR-15 and does not offer the same protection. See:
https://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/chassiscoat%20directions.pdf
and read their Q/A section.
I see your point regarding the Chassis Black being a topcoat.

My experience with POR-15 pre-dates them even manufacturing Chassis Black. When I sold the product it was available in only three colors...black, white and silver. And they sold the Marine clean and solvents. No gas tank coating, no epoxy repair stuff...nothing but simple, original POR-15.

When I first used Chassis Black I simply opened the car and started brushing...

I've never used a top coat over any of POR-15's products...and I've used the Chassis Black many times on frames, suspension parts, etc. without any evidence of rust coming back.

I guess my whole point is if the metal is free of oil and loose rust you can paint it! POR-15's special marine clean, etc. is good stuff...but not required for a quality job in most cases...the main objective is to get the metal clean...

My son's '67 Mustang received the POR-15 treatment on all of the new front suspension pieces we installed around 1993. The car has thousands of miles on it since then...he really doesn't take very good care of this car at all. A wash job maybe twice a year. Some years it never leaves the unheated storage garage yet the parts we coated look like new after 14 years.

This whole discussion is kinda like the one that is constantly being discussed on https://www.garagejournal.com on floor coatings.

This really isn't rocket science and sometimes we over-analyze this stuff and make it MUCH more complicated than it really is...