• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is this what I think it is?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
John is what I consider a good friend here in San Diego County, and even though he doesn't do all his own work he gets his hands dirty, and he knows a lot about these BE's. A lot more than I do. I am an owner and a driver and that is about all. I know how to make sure a nice car is well maintained and in good working order, but i have to pay to have that done.
Recently Bill M did some stuff to my car that I really appreciated. Some of the things he did I didn't even know needed to be done. It is nice to have people like Bill M close by in case you are not sure of something or just have questions.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John is what I consider a good friend here in San Diego County, and even though he doesn't do all his own work he gets his hands dirty, and he knows a lot about these BE's. A lot more than I do. I am an owner and a driver and that is about all. I know how to make sure a nice car is well maintained and in good working order, but i have to pay to have that done.
Recently Bill M did some stuff to my car that I really appreciated. Some of the things he did I didn't even know needed to be done. It is nice to have people like Bill M close by in case you are not sure of something or just have questions.

I didn't even know you knew John personally.

macsprite

John's car was a stunning example. This one is nice, but not a complete restoration, a few things missing (eg.washer pump and bottle, bracket), wrong Choke cable, old knobs etc... but, we should be pleased for him if he can get over $20K for the car. Isn't that good for all of us who restore these cars for the enjoyment and frustration we all get from it ? I have noticed there are occasional negative comments on this site, often by people that don't show there own work. Why is that ?
Cheers
Lew

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Completely surprised at the final selling price of $26K. There are so many things wrong with this car that I would not even begin to point them out. There's more to a nice car than a good paint job. I guess it is good for the market, but it makes me wonder if people really know what good quality is. This one was much worse than the black MkII that sold a few weeks ago. So for a MkII to bring nearly the same as BE, it would have to be much nicer and it was. But it lacked a lot as well. Just not as much as this one. I may need to increase my insurance.

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Want to see the difference? Take a look at John Felt's Bugeye that was recently sold for $25,000. It it completely correct? ... no, but the execution is excellent. John does not do his own restoration work, but instead puts it into the hands who can do it right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Austin-Hea...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's a nice car, but the thing that hits me first is that it is the wrong color red, and the interior is wrong. Red Bugeyes were a little darker red, and the interior should be red with white piping. I have a red car matched to the original Healey color, and 90% of the big money red Bugeyes I have seen are incorrect. I never understand why people spend the money they do, and still put the wrong color paint on a car, and a black interior in a red car.

Brian

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
It may be the wrong color but it ended up selling for 26k. Way out at the top of the price curve . The seller did well .

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's a nice car, but the thing that hits me first is that it is the wrong color red, and the interior is wrong. Red Bugeyes were a little darker red, and the interior should be red with white piping. I have a red car matched to the original Healey color, and 90% of the big money red Bugeyes I have seen are incorrect. I never understand why people spend the money they do, and still put the wrong color paint on a car, and a black interior in a red car.

Brian

It was called "Cherry Red" and Jaguar "Regency Red" is a match to the original.

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
One thing I like about Bugeye's is that there is, IMO, no wrong way to do a car as long as it's done tastefully. The cars are common enough that if someone wants to do their own interpretation of the car or expression of themselves, go for it. And if its done well, it's appreciated. Not all Bugeye's need to be restorations and done so that every nut and bolt is correct. And seeing a car like this one, not "correctly" done by restoration standards but done well in many areas, and pull in that kind of money, makes me feel better about throwing so much into mine. l