• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

is my generator bad?

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I thought I had some kind of short or other battery drain that depleted my battery after only a handful of starts, so I utilized the battery disconnect after each and every drive. My battery nonetheless required a recharge (~50%) after maybe a dozen starts so I am concluding that my generator is not recharging the battery as it should. This is a newer battery that gets a slow trickle charge and works fine afterwards. Can you offer any other explanation that I should look into? Is there any easy test other than full replacement of the generator to validate my theory? If I need to replace, should I convert to an alternator (reliability being the priority)?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I thought I had some kind of short or other battery drain that depleted my battery after only a handful of starts, so I utilized the battery disconnect after each and every drive. My battery nonetheless required a recharge (~50%) after maybe a dozen starts so I am concluding that my generator is not recharging the battery as it should. This is a newer battery that gets a slow trickle charge and works fine afterwards. Can you offer any other explanation that I should look into? Is there any easy test other than full replacement of the generator to validate my theory? If I need to replace, should I convert to an alternator (reliability being the priority)?

Moss TV has some videos on checking these items:
https://youtu.be/noK-oZMb8i8

I like an onboard Smiths voltmeter which gives you an idea of what's happening.

Also see Eric the Car Guy's YouTube channel - he has videos on battery and alternator testing.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Considering you have a good fully charged battery, First I would polerize the generator, start the car and check the battery volt putout with a volt meter...it should read about 13.5 to 15 volts with the car running, and the battery should be roughly 12.5 volts without the car running.
If you are getting lower readings then this then Disconnect the two leads coming out of the regulator that lead to the generator...and briefly touch them together..if you get a good spark with the car running it means the generator is putting out ok. From there I would simply replace the regulator. And don't forget to polerize the generator after you install the new regulator.
I had the same problem not long ago! Next thing to do is install a volt gauge in the car to monitor your charging system.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Fast system to add a voltmeter. a Chinese digital one that costs less than 7$ - easy to fit if you have a socket for cigarette 20110801105209-digital2.JPG20110801105208-digital.jpg similar in USA probably you can find on e-bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-C...or-12V-Black-Red-Digital-Screen-/290963492854
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LE...ar-Battery-Tester-Gauge-12V-24V-/181162762736
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/digital-voltmeter-4digit -or on web

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I changed out my generator a number of times because my battery kept going dead. My mechanic thought the voltage regulators from Moss were preset, but they weren't. Once we set the voltage regulatorI have not had any more problems.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Maybe the voltage regulator needs adjusting . If it cuts out to early then the battery will gradualy loose its charge . In the book it says you need a special tool but I managed to do it with a regular screwdriver , been fine ever since .