• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Iris Blue vs Speedwell Blue

AlFresco

Country flag
I'd love to see these side by side in a photo or image. For my project Bugeye I'm thinking I'll go light blue with darker blue interior. Its really hard to tell from all of the photos you get from an image search what they actually look like, what with lighting variations, colour temperature/white balance issues, etc.
Not likely to see both blues in the flesh here in Tasmania. Anybody got anything to use for comparison?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Speedwell Blue has a more grayish tint then Iris Blue. It probably has more black tint where Iris Blue probably has more white. Trying to tell on a computer screen would be difficult to distinguish, and while these chips may not display true colors on your screen, compare Speedwell Blue to Iris Blue on the page:

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_swatch_austin_1957

Iris Blue on left; Speedwell Blue on right.

Iris Blue.jpgSpeedwell Blue.jpg

OP
A

AlFresco

Country flag
Thanks, that gives me a good idea of how they differ. Cheers

If blue interior colour is a standard 'off-the-shelf' thing, which works better with it: the 'dirtier' Speedwell or the 'brighter' Iris blue?
Of course if there are various blue interior colours, thats a different matter!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Wish I had a good picture of my Iris Blue Bugeye with dark blue interior/light blue piping, but these should give you a good idea. Carpet is black...
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 110
OP
A

AlFresco

Country flag
Wish I had a good picture of my Iris Blue Bugeye with dark blue interior/light blue piping, but these should give you a good idea. Carpet is black...
Rut

That sounds interesting: light blue piping on dark blue seats. Would love to see an image sometime.

Were you limited to 1 choice of blue for the interior or are there a preferred options for Speedwell Blue and Iris Blue?

Thanks for the photos - looks great - good reference shots for me to add to my thoughts

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That sounds interesting: light blue piping on dark blue seats. Would love to see an image sometime.

Were you limited to 1 choice of blue for the interior or are there a preferred options for Speedwell Blue and Iris Blue?

Thanks for the photos - looks great - good reference shots for me to add to my thoughts

Speedwell blue cars came with dark blue seats, light blue seat piping, and dark blue floor covering. This combination was available until January 1959, at which time the offering was then Iris blue, dark blue seats with non-contrasting piping, and dark blue floor covering.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag

I just used what my Heritage certificate said was original with the exception of the floor covering where I used carpet. The seat covers are pretty much a standard offering since the Iris Blue cars came with dark blue/light blue piping. I bought the interior from AH Spares and I'm pleased with the quality and accuracy of what they offer.
Rut

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
An Iris Blue variant...
interior with new mirror and shiftknob.jpg

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I liked the slightly darker baby blue. Closer to the Speedwell than the Iris.
The Frogeye is parked next to my Abarth so you can get a sense of the darkness of the blue.
It is a custom mix.

Attachments

• Frogeye and Scorpion.jpg
    Frogeye and Scorpion.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 118

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This is Iris Blue that is mixed from exact paint code and is also single stage. Again, hard to judge on computer, but is an exact mix.

IMGP0102_4.jpg

OP
A

AlFresco

Country flag
I so look forward to the day when my shell looks like that!!
I like the Speedwell and David Harrisons deeper version, but I think from what I've seen now, its the pretty Iris Blue for my girl!