• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Intermittent turn signals....

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
I've got my service manuals ariving tomorrow, so I can start working on some of the vehicle's mechanical problems, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start with intermittent turn signals? they don't work front or rear, in either dirrection most of the time. Every once in a while they will work. They don't light up at all, they're all permanently dead. My hazard lights do work however. thoughts?
Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rob
The turn signal power runs thru the hazzard switch. i would check there first. then all bulbs, wires and grounds. the biggest trouble spots i have seen are the bullet connectors leading to the front turn/markers lights. i have seen a perfectly good looking crimped on male bullet that went bad at the crimp. i would clean and grease all those connectors , and make sure the bulb sockets are in good shape. This should solve your problem.

Good luck

Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
mark, do you still think it could be faulty wiring past the hazard switch, since the hazard lights work fine? I would assume that since the hazard circuit is working properly, the probem has to be from the turn signal switch to the hazard switch...anything in that path?

Rob ,
i had hazzards that worked, but the turns didnt. i found a site that explained the circut to me. and the problem was in the hazzard switch. i jumped the haz sw, and turns started working. the turns wont work when the hazzards are on. the switch swaps power around.

i think this was the site

https://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/electricstext2.htm#turn

i still bet you have some intermittent grounds somwhere.
of course you may have some turn signal switch trouble as well. i would use a test lite at each of the 2 front corners first and check to be sure that you are getting power to the appropriate wires first . this helps to check grounds since the test lite can be grounded to the battery.

if you need the wire colors let me know.

mark

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
you were right mark, it's the hazard switch. I checked all the bulbs first, out of curiosity, stared at teh wiring diagrams for a while, then checked the flasher. Moved on to the hazard switch and sure enough, it's not connecting the turn signal switch to power. I bypassed it for the time being, so I have turn signals now but no hazard lights. I figure turn signals are a little more useful, even in NM where nobody but me uses them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Anyway, thanks for the advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Rob

Great Rob,
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Dont feel to bad my hazzards dont work either. Those switches can be taken apart and cleaned, might be a thought. replacements are kind of pricey.

Keep it Running

Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Country flag
Actually, I found my hazard switch quite easy to clean and reassemble. It now works great, and it took less than ten minutes. But, if the plastic is brittle you may destoy it. (nothing to lose though)