• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Intermittent problem finally fixed

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Well,

Most of us post problems that need to be solved. I finally figured out the "fuel" problem. Trying to figure this one out was a PITA>... to say the least.

It was a problem that came about every once in a while and I could not isolate it. I worked out every possible detail until the BE finally just quite after I thought the problem was resolved. It was the Petronix unit. I had heard nothing but good things and had Jeff at Advanced Distributors put one in for me when he refurbished and recurved my 25d.

Since I have figured out the problem I have heard nothing but bad issues with them. I sent the dizzy back to Jeff for him to check it out and replace the "magic box" with and good set of old fashioned points. She purrs like a kitten... okay,,,, purrs like a frog.... :smile:

Not only did Jeff take care of me and put mine on a priority knowing that I have been dealing with this issue for a few months, he also refunded the balance from the Petronix unit that he installed a bit over a year ago.

WHat a STAND-UP guy... I knew he was before this latest interaction, however, he is on the top of the list to recommend future dizzy repaires. Or anything that is ignition related.

It hard to beat point, and you can carry everything you need to fix it on the road in your pocket for 20 bucks.

Country flag
OK, all these horror stories about pertronix has me wondering if I should remove mine. But, it has been working well for 3-4 years. Actually, it has been in there so long that I can not remember when I installed it.

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
I'm sure you'll be fine Trevor. I must have just had a bad unit or something.???

I'd get a set of points for a back up though. :smile:

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had a pertronix unit. i absolutely LOVED it.. Until...

i admit that it was an installation problem. I had allowed the wires to be rubbed by the rotor.. when the rotor wore thru the wires, i was cooked.. a $250 tow bill to get the car home, because i FORGOT to carry points and condensor as a back up...

When i installed the CRANE UNIT, i was more careful with the wiring. .. Friday while in Seattle (120 miles from home, or so) when the engine sputtered and QUIT (AAA to the rescue) i KNEW it was a fuel problem and NOT the spark that had failed. I've heard tales of MANY pertronix failures and NEVER have i heard of a CRANE unit failure...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Trevor Jessie said:
OK, all these horror stories about pertronix has me wondering if I should remove mine. But, it has been working well for 3-4 years. Actually, it has been in there so long that I can not remember when I installed it.

:lol: You totally belong on these boards - "my LBC is working well, something must be wrong - therefore I will uninstall it."