• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Installing AC in my 1960 Healey

Factoryman2000

Freshman Member
Hi, Recently visited a local restoration shop and saw AC install on an MG. What surprised me was that the single crank pulley was left in place and the new compressor had a dual pulley, so that the v belt that used to drive the generator( alternator in this case) drove the compressor. The second pulley on the compressor now powered the slightly relocated alternator. I watched this system run and it all seemed reliable. The shop told me that new rotary compressors require little effort and it eliminates the need to create/fabricate a dual pulley on the crank shaft. Any opinions? Advice? Experiences you can offer me. Not having to go the traditional dual pulley route would make the install of AC a simple process for me.
Anton

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OP
F

Factoryman2000

Freshman Member
Thanks for the reply. He info does list all required elements and that is a big help. I see your comments often on BAT, you must really keep busy attending to all these chores, amazing!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Since this is a specific Healey technical question, I'm moving this thread to the Austin Healey form but leaving a "pointer" to it in the "New Member Introduction" forum for 1 week. If you are reading this you w ain the Austin Healey forum. Please another in the "New Member Introductions forum also doc re yourself to the other forum members.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I installed a vintage air unit in my Austin Healey. It will cool from your legs down. There are no air vents blowing at your upper body. Not really space to put them. The unit works but I would say is not successful. When it turns on, the idle drops to almost a stall. If we come to a stop sign, my wife turns it off, and back on after moving again. we don't have a computer to up the idle as in a modern car. The heater unit is actually better than the original though!
Jerry

OP
F

Factoryman2000

Freshman Member
Jerry, Thanks so much. The unit you installed is below the dash where the heater box was located? IE the aftermarket style under dash unit.
Your compressor is the rotary type? Did you add a crank pulley or has the compressor two sheaves? Thanks Tony

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have AC in mine, I installed it in 2018. If you buy the compressor from Vintage Air, it will have two sheaves.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I installed a vintage air unit in my Austin Healey. It will cool from your legs down. There are no air vents blowing at your upper body. Not really space to put them. The unit works but I would say is not successful. When it turns on, the idle drops to almost a stall. If we come to a stop sign, my wife turns it off, and back on after moving again. we don't have a computer to up the idle as in a modern car. The heater unit is actually better than the original though!
Jerry
You need an idle adjustment solenoid that cracks the throttles open when the compressor kicks in. It's what they used before computers.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Two pulleys on the compressor and the unit replaces the original Healey heater. Solenoid for the idle adjustment? give me some more hints or a link on that. I can learn new things!

Jerry

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Good to know, Patrick. I attached a Holley 46-74 Throttle Solenoid to a self-made bracket acting on a lever attached to the right-hand side of the throttle cross-rod.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Two pulleys on the compressor and the unit replaces the original Healey heater. Solenoid for the idle adjustment? give me some more hints or a link on that. I can learn new things!

Jerry
I've been trying to prepare a description and parts list to upload, but Basil has some strict limits that I haven't been able to overcome. If you PM me with an email address, I can send to you, or, if you're a member of AHCA, there are some back issues of Healey Marque with some articles:

• July 2009
  • November 2009
  • February 2010
  • January 2014
  • September 2015

Last edited:

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Good to know, Patrick. I attached a Holley 46-74 Throttle Solenoid to a self-made bracket acting on a lever attached to the right-hand side of the throttle cross-rod.
This is a drawing of what I have. It does use a Holley solenoid.

Attachments

• E9E3B3FE-7388-45FA-86C5-773DAA616CEB.jpg
    E9E3B3FE-7388-45FA-86C5-773DAA616CEB.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 102

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Anton, The configuration of running one belt driven component from another belt driven component is not that unusual in the aftermarket custom and hot rod circles. It is something that always makes me take a step back and a second look when I see it but it is not that uncommon. Since it has become an acceptable practice I have to believe it is reliable. Some of the street rod configurations don't give much room for multi-groove crank pulleys.