• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Installing a new windscreen

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I am installing a new windscreen into the frame assembly before reinstalling on the car. I have been doing my research including the rope trick. I am not seeing any reference to the use of a sealant between the screen and the rubber or the rubber and the frame. The manual calls for a sealant. I would think the use of a sealant would make the rope trick very messy. Am I missing something?

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
When we installed our windscreen in the 250 we did not use any sealant. The rope trick works, But it is still a real PITA to get it in. It took my wife and I about two hours and a lot of bad words.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Best 40 bucks I ever spent was having a glass shop install the windscreen into the 'loose' TR4 frame.

Tricky enough when the frame is mounted on the car - a real handful when it is unattached (like yours and like mine).

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have installed several now. First it is best to do it either on the car body or some how have the frame mounted in a fixed position. Second the use of a foaming spray window cleaner to lubricate the seal and the front side chrome strip is a big help. Find a small diameter strong rope -- it works great.
Charley

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks, guys. I will check with local glass shops, I don't need to master every skill involved in a restoration.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I'll offer one bit of advice. The first time I did mine I cut the silver plastic trim so it neatly butted at the bottom and then covered the joint with the usual metal clip. Over the next few years that plastic shrank until the metal clip would no longer span the gap.

Next time I was smarter - I left about 2" of excess length there. It would wave in the breeze but I had a plan... I waited a couple of years and it slowly shrank about an inch or so. Finally, I cut the now shrunken trim to a butt joint and installed the clip. Unfortunately, it is still shrinking! The clip still covers the gap so maybe my initial wait was enough to prevent too big a gap - time will tell.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
George,
TRF has three different lengths of those clips. Apparently because of the type of problems you are having.
Did you know that the early TR4s used a two piece solid metal trim?
Charley

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I have the two piece solid metal for the front and the surrey back light. I plan on reusing them, the plastic that came with the rubber does not look "right." Doing the back light is going to be terrifying no matter who does it, unobtaineum.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have the two piece solid metal for the front and the surrey back light. I plan on reusing them, the plastic that came with the rubber does not look "right." Doing the back light is going to be terrifying no matter who does it, unobtaineum.
You are correct about the rear window installation. The problem is with the bottom forward corner. I have two of these surrey tops. The first one was put on by a professional while I watched. He had a really tough time of it. The advice I would give is to put the gasket on the window and put it where it can get real warm and try your best to get the gasket to form around that curve in the window. I would do this like a week or more in advance and keep trying to find some way to get that gasket to form around that curve That was where most of the problems came from.
Charley