• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Inner Door Reassembly Questions

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So I'm in the process of putting everything back together on/in the doors. I have a couple of questions...
1. In regards to the bracket that mounts towards the bottom center of the door with 2 phillips head screws, has a piece of metal that spans the whole length of the door and has two ends that look like they hook on something, where do those ends go? Do they wrap around the rails so when the window comes down it keeps them from spreading?
2. I'm going to make the tool from Home Depot or Lowes to put the upper felt in, but did you guys put the glass in first and put it all the way at the bottom? I'm assuming so due to spacing but wanted to double check.
3. With the upper felt, is it better to do the inner or outer first?

Thanks!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Gary,
I just finished doing this project and once I learned the order of things it was pretty easy. Assemble your window glass and insert it attaching it to the lift mechanism, leave the two Phillips screws out of the rest with the felt on it, leave the 2 window guides loose to give you more wiggle room. I made my tool out of a piece of mild steel strap I had lying around and it worked very well. I installed the outside rubber piece first, but I don’t think that part really matters and it only took a few minutes to complete after I installed the first clip.
After you have the seals in place connect and loosely tighten all the screws and bolts, but slip the spreader bar over the guides before you do. Once everything is aligned to your satisfaction tighten up the screws and bolts and recheck the fit with the doors closed. I had to spend some extra time adjusting mine to get it just right.
Rut

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
...but slip the spreader bar over the guides before you do.

Thanks Rut! I have left my bolts loose in anticipation of this. I'm assuming you mean the metal bar with the hooks on each end. So those do wrap around the window channels? Do the hooks phase outwards or inwards? I guess once I put the window in it will give me a good idea which way it goes since the window will probably hit the metal bar if it's orientated wrong.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Gary,
The hooks on Desert TR faced out, but I think they naturally face that way. Every bit of room you can make for your hands and fingers makes this task much easier. Report back and let us know how it turned out.
Rut

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gary,
The hooks on Desert TR faced out, but I think they naturally face that way. Every bit of room you can make for your hands and fingers makes this task much easier. Report back and let us know how it turned out.
Rut

Great! Thanks! I'll be sure to snap some pics before I put the interior panel on. And some others for good measure. Haven't shared too many on here.