• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Info on a Volvo.... motor

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
My mom and dad have a 91 Volvo 740 wagon. B-240 motor I believe.
Right now it sounds like one of the rods is frantically trying to escape it's home inside the crank.
It's running on borrowed time. Anyhoo.. Our local U-pull-it is having thier annual 50% off sale tomorrow, so I'm going thismorning on a scouting run to see whats there.
Any info on usable years, what to look for and such would be greatly appreciated.
I'm going to write down info on what I find today and I'll share it tonight.
Thanks guys.

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Quickie update...
Ran to the yard. there were only 2 Volvos there even close.
1 is a 91 740 with 180K miles. Engine spins free and looks decent from the outside. pulled a plug, and it looked decent.
So I guess now what I need is, any special tools outside the regular metric sockets, extentions, wobbles, wrenches, pliars, screwdrivers, breaker bar, bolt cutters (hey it is a junkyard)
that I should take with me?
Are there any allen or torx bits hiding in there?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You just gonna haul the knockin' lump out and stuff the other'n in?!?! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

...and th' NUMBERS won't MATCH!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Ben, take a set of Torx bits. There are a bunch of them on the Brick. I don't think you'll need anything over a T-45, but take the full set.
Only 180K? It's just coming due for an oil change, then. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
180 ain't nuthin on these beasts.
Change the timing belt before you install it, though. Or at least look on the cover for the sticker that shows when it was last done.
Here's a good source of information.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/index.php

Jeff

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Yup, Doc just a simple heart transplant. I know I'm killing the collector value, but it's gotta be done hehehehehe.
Thanks Jeff. I'll make sure to have my torx with me.
I was planning on doing the T-belt,(and probably a water pump) and any other various service items; clean the throttle body, new spark plugs, thermostat, replace any seals that showed signs of leakage etc etc...
I'll check out the link. thanks

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Got a battery power'd SAWZALL?!?! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
It's been a busy weekend. We did go over saturday morning and pick up that one motor. It was out in under an hour. I'm beginning to like Volvos. I'm not sure why this car was in the junkyard. it was rust and damage free. the tires were low on tread, but it looked pretty nice to me.
The engine is fairly clean. not a lot of oil on the outside. We will be doing the timing belt, front seal, plugs, and probably a water pump to be safe. But it turns by hand, feels like it makes compression, and looking in the hole for the oil fill, it's clean as a whistle.
Guess we'll find out when we drop it in. That'll probably be this week sometime.

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Are you speaking of the outer pully? as in the accessory drive / harmonic balancer pully. if so, that has already shown itsself to have seperated, and will be replaced.
Or are you talking about the cogged timing gear that drived the timing belt?
Motor swap will be going on tonight or tomorrow. depending on when my last few straggling parts come in.
We're replacing
Timing belt
front crank seal
cap/rotor/plugs/wires
exhaust gasket
and we were planning on using the crank pully from the old motor. but I may see about sourcing a new one.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Might as well" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

'cause if ya DON'T, you KNOW what'll be next. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

SteveL

Jedi Trainee
Bugeye58 said:
Not going to do the rear seal, Ben?
Jeff

Ah yes, sounds like my Capris, do the clutch, do the rear seal, it's a bit of an automated
experience, you can't do that without doing this at the same time...

SteveL

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
If the parts store dosen't get moving, I'm not doing the front seal either. I've got all my other goodies, but the front seal. I called today and they said "Well, there's one allocated to be shipped. Call back tomorrow morning."
Rassa Frackin muffa grabba........ C'mon! I wanna get this done! I can't take the body off the TR2 till I have an open bay to put it in!

SteveL

Jedi Trainee
Ha, try ordering a rear wheel bearing for a Capri, SKF will
make you one, when there are enough orders to make a production
run profitable...

SteveL

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Same as Ferrari piston orders... or Rolls brake bands. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
The thing that burns me is that this is not some obscure car. I see several of them every day.
I called the parts store this morning and got the "I dunno. The computer says it's here." shpeal.
The guy said he diden't know where it was, they're normally 3 days out, but he'd overnight it for me.
Well that'd be nice. considering I paid for it 5 days ago when I ordered everything.
I'd kinda like to get this job going.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Ben, If you want, I can get whatever you need and send it out next day. A bud is a parts importer/warehouse/distributor, and coincidentally uses Volvos exclusively as delivery vehicles, and he races a 142. So, Volvo parts are no problem for me. Maybe that's why I own two of them.
Let me know if I can help.
Jeff

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
All indications say this part should be here tomorrow. But if not, I may give ya a holler.
Thanks Jeff.
Ben

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
zee magic 8-Ball says, "Ask again later" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
OK... All parts arrived. and I used my 4th holiday to bang out that job.
Motors in, no leaks, runs good, dosen't knock! And all for about $200. including the motor, T-belt, various seals, tune up stuff, and fluids.
Note: When swapping motors in a 91 Volvo, even from the same year, but with slightly different emissions setups (one had an EGR, the other diden't) CLOSELY examin the reluctor ring on the flexplate. One had blocked off windows in one spot, one had them in 2. Thus the crank sensor was getting confused and the engine woulden't run. It acted just like it was 180 out.
Had to re-pull the motor and swap it out!!!
1st motor pull running to trying-to-run 8 hours
2nd motor pull (not) running to running 4 hours
I learn quick. hehehehehe.