• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Inertia switch location

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I’m getting ready to finally install the inertia switch that I bought months ago. Looking under the hood/bonnet, I found a nice location on the front left wheel well. There’s a flat area that would be easy to mount the switch to. Mounting to the firewall is not an option as there’s no room.
Is there any reason not to mount the switch to the wheel well?
I’m also going to install a small panel light somewhere in the cabin that will light if the switch is tripped.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I have heard that mounting the inertia switch in the passenger area makes it easier to reset if tripped.

Just sayin' ...

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Tom. I have heard that as well. Not sure that mounting in the passenger area would be easier to get to.
You would probably have to stop in order to gain access to it if for example it was in the footwell area. Having a panel light would alert me and I would have to stop anyway.

Last edited:
OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's done.... today I got around to mounting the inertia switch and a "trip light" to alert me if the switch has tripped.
I ended up mounting the switch on the drivers side wheel well. The switch is three-wire: NC-COM-NO. I used the NO contact for a small LED that's mounted just under the dash. It's not even noticeable and that's the way I wanted it. It will illuminate to let me know the inertia switch has tripped and the fuel pump is no longer energized.

IMG_4395.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg
IMG_4348.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Elliot - congrats on getting that done. I had one on my MGB long ago.

Say, another clue that the switch had tripped: the engine would stop.

<ducks and runs>

Tom M.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot - congrats on getting that done. I had one on my MGB long ago.

Say, another clue that the switch had tripped: the engine would stop.

<ducks and runs>

Tom M.
Either way a light will come on Tom :rolleye:

IMG_4397.JPG

Martin Secrest

Interesting safety feature that I never really considered. Can you give the system the 5-cent description? Secondly, have many others seriously pondered a fuel cell?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What switch did you use , Elliot?
I bought the switch off of eBay. It was listed from a Ford/Mercury. Most of them that I have seen are a two wire hook-up. This one had all three connections (NC-COM-NO) and that's why I bought it. It was $15. Amazon has them for cheap as well but I figured the Ford switch would be better built.

Edit: The one I bought had the plug connector with the three leads.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Interesting safety feature that I never really considered. Can you give the system the 5-cent description? Secondly, have many others seriously pondered a fuel cell?
The inertia switch is merely a safety for my electric fuel pump. If the car gets into an accident the inertia switch "should" trip to the "Off" position and cut the power to the fuel pump to decrease the fire hazard.... No guarantees, but better to have it.
Also, the electric fuel pump is energized from sensing the rotation of the distributor and not via the oil pressure switch.