• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Inertia, Ennui

Bugeye58

Yoda
Anybody got any suggestions to get me off my dead butt and working on the '67 GT6 again? It's about 98% complete after a frame off, and I haven't touched it since about 1995 or so. Just the little things left, like glass and interior installation, hang the chrome, install new wheels and tires.
I'm pathetic.
Jeff

roofman

Jedi Knight
Sounds like the fact that your 98% is all the motivation you need. Or, you could sell it to me .

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Jeff -

Give yourself a deadline - VTR in your "neighborhood" next August should do it. Post it here, and we'll make sure you stick to it! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

Mickey

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Okay...promise me, promise me you will hang/install
just one piece of chrome, then come on and tell me
you did, okay?

Just one piece of chrome. You can do that, right?
You owe it to yourself and the car. Okay, maybe two
if you want, but at least one. Bet you can do that,
right?

OP
B

Bugeye58

Yoda
There has been a lot of progress since this was taken. This was right out of the paint booth, in about '93 or '94. All the lights are now installed, as is the grille, door handles, etc. I can't find any later pictures.
Jeff

Attachments

• 9063.jpg
    9063.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 40
OP
B

Bugeye58

Yoda
Andrew, I've already driven it about 20 miles the way it sits! No glass, wind in the hair!! The overdrive works like a champ, and I'd forgotten how quick these things were. But, the last time out was at least five years ago.
Jeff

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I read something awhile back about how to proceed with a restoration. One of the things mentioned was to do SOMETHING every week, no matter how small. A half an hour here, an hour there. Even if it's planning what parts you need, or cleaning something you won't use until much later. Just keep working on it a little at a time. Eventually, it will come together. Do not let it sit more then a week at a time. Those weeks turn into months which turn into years as you know.

I'm going into my third year of my TR3 resto. A little longer then I may have wanted, but there always was some progress. Some weeks more then others, but each week saw something being done. I'm in the last stages now, and this spring or early summer should see this project completed.

It can't get completed without being worked on. Remember...do something every week! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
B

Bugeye58

Yoda
OK, the last of the pictures. I apologize for the quality, as these are scans of shots taken with a cheap camera. Got a ton of the resto in progress, too.
I really need to get this thing out of the storage facility and into the garage.
I put the first picture up as my desktop background. Maybe that will keep reminding me!
Jeff

Attachments

• 9054.jpg
    9054.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 39
  • 9055.jpg
    9055.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 9056.jpg
    9056.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 9057.jpg
    9057.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 39
  • 9069.jpg
    9069.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 37

BobSands

Jedi Hopeful
2wrench said:
Okay...promise me, promise me you will hang/install
just one piece of chrome, then come on and tell me
you did, okay?

Just one piece of chrome. You can do that, right?
You owe it to yourself and the car. Okay, maybe two
if you want, but at least one. Bet you can do that,
right?
2Wrench is on the right course. I am the world's worst, when looking at any given project and only seeing obstacles (OHMYGOD, I CAN'T AFFORD IT; I don't have the technical savvy to fix it, it's too big; I need special tools; I've got to remove this widget to fix that gizmo(Ship Fitter's Disease).
I've had good luck at breaking the main task into smaller more manageable jobs. Make a list, so you can check off things as you finish them.
One bit of caution,...if your restoration has been languishing for 10 years...some of it may have to be redone. Hydraulics, and electrical connections, come to mind.
2Wrench is right....You don't have to finish both windows today, just because you're doing windows fix one today,...another tomorrow... one project per day or
weekend and it'll get done!
CLEAN THE CAR! It's always more pleasant to work on a new clean automobile.
Good luck Bob

OP
B

Bugeye58

Yoda
Guys, thanks. You all raise very valid points. I just can't seem to get STARTED again. Maybe I'm just whining. I've got too many projects, and I really need to get cracking on this one before I even consider moving on with anything else.
At one point I was working on this at least 4 hours every day, if not much longer. 30 hours on a weekend was common.
I'm so darn close to finishing it, it's driving me nuts!
Not having a decent garage to work in is part of the problem, but I've done it before.
BTW, this past summer, all the electrics and hydraulics were still perfectly functional. When I get back at it, all will be checked thoroughly.
Thanks for listening to me b***h.
Jeff

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Jeff -- my suggestion (from all my years of experience /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif yeah right) is to make a complete list of what is left. Post it on a visible wall, where you see it every day. Try and at least check off one thing a week. In a couple weeks you'll be back at it and motivated.

You know you want to be driving that car again.

(Now I need to go take my own advice)

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I really need to get this thing out of the storage facility and into the garage. [/QUOTE]

That's your problem, out of sight out of mind. Kick the wife's car (or yours if no wife) out of the garage and bring it home. Nothing like something just sitting around taking up room to get one motivated.

OP
B

Bugeye58

Yoda
tomshobby said:
Maybe a picture of a '67 will help!

old_67_2.jpg

Gee, thanks, Tom. Actually, with the exception of the glass, that's pretty close to what mine looks like now.
I did away with those horrid, huge, turn signal lamps, front and rear, and went with the Euro spec, traditional Lucas Beehives.
Jeff

OP
B

Bugeye58

Yoda
I think you're right about being out of sight, and I know I'm out of my mind.
No wife to worry about, just need to get the track day Fiat out of the itty bitty garage. Kind of hard to do with snow on the ground.
Jeff

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Kind of hard to do with snow on the ground.[/QUOTE]

Not that I need one here, but a shovel comes to mind. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif Then swap the cars.

My "garage" is 8x16, walk in, back out.

OP
B

Bugeye58

Yoda
TR6oldtimer said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Kind of hard to do with snow on the ground.

Not that I need one here, but a shovel comes to mind. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif Then swap the cars. [/QUOTE]

I'll have to shovel the entire back yard to get to the garage!
Ain't gonna happen! Maybe when we get our traditional thaw I can get it done.
I've got a friend (and fellow forum member) here, who has been bugging me about it. I'll see if I can recruit him for an afternoon.
Jeff

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Jeff -

I'm gonna nag ya and repeat what I said earlier. This time, though, I'll suggest you register and make your reservations. Nothing like a little cash commitment to fuel the fire!

OP
B

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mickey, I don't <u>need</u> reservations. Ypsi is 20 miles from the house. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
We'll see how things shake out. I may be driving a Spridget.
Jeff