• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

In over my head...

Country flag
Hi!

As the title of my post implies I am in over my head, but that is ok. I asked for this. I am the happy owner of a poorly restored 1970 (though the State of Florida says 69 and I like that year.... Nice.) Triumph Spitfire. I purchased this car in 2017 for $1500 from someone who had purchased it after buying off the side of the road in South Florida. The car appears to have had an attempted restore sometime in the early 2000s and they did a poor job of it. So I am doing it again!

This is my first restoration of just about anything and well I am having to dig pretty deep. The heelboard was completely rotten and the previous restorer just slapped some plate steel over the bad stuff and called it a day. It is horrible. So I am now on the journey of preparing to replace pretty much the lower 4" of the entire car. So this should be interesting!

I fell in love with Spitfires at the ripe old age of 7. My older brothers had an MG Midget and then sold it and bought a 1972 Spitfire from my brothers then soon to be Father In Law. His Father In Law sold it after his wife was almost thrown out of the passenger seat going around a corner. That is a whole other story. So they owned the Spitfire since the mid 80s, and passed it back and forth between one another. I had wanted one for years as a result.

I finally got the chance to buy one, and from my initial inspection, the car looked great! So after two visits to the car I bought it as a non runner but I knew that the engine turned over and everything looked rock solid! Well as time went on I kept finding glimpses of cancer here and there. It wasn't until I decided to really tear into the bodywork when I had discovered that the last guy threw new body panels on a rotting tub and left the hidden stuff to continue to rot.

So that is where I am at today. I started a YouTube Channel Steves Project Car Garage where I am documenting my journey on the restoration of this car, and hopefully others in the future.

I hope y'all enjoyed my story and I look forward to spending time here. I am also on The Triumph Exp forum under the same name.

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• 9E46CB8E-3617-4DFA-B55A-F765CD16A1A9.jpeg
    9E46CB8E-3617-4DFA-B55A-F765CD16A1A9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
  • B6563762-8A2B-4211-8ADE-BE8E18F2B205.jpeg
    B6563762-8A2B-4211-8ADE-BE8E18F2B205.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Steve
Welcome to the forum.
I think most of have made nasty discoveries on our new cars at some time. I found fiberglass repairs under the new primer on my TR3A.

You will find the Triumph section is very active so you will get plenty of tips and help there for your Spitfire rebuild.

Start a rebuild thread in the Triumph section so we can follow your progress and help if needed. Good job on the body bracing.

David

OP
SteveTheBrewer
Country flag
Hello Steve
Welcome to the forum.
I think most of have made nasty discoveries on our new cars at some time. I found fiberglass repairs under the new primer on my TR3A.

You will find the Triumph section is very active so you will get plenty of tips and help there for your Spitfire rebuild.

Start a rebuild thread in the Triumph section so we can follow your progress and help if needed. Good job on the body bracing.

David
Thank you very much! I will have to do that!

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve Welcome You have taken the road not less traveled by many of us. I am a TR guy since 1970 there a bouts TR 4 -250 and for the last almost 30 years TR6. The TR 6 was a surprise car $3,500.00 driver ( not so much ) I would take apart three 6's to get enough car for one. From the frame up I built, made or pursued any and all parts I needed. It was my first complete restoration and doing it day by day made for less stress but not less money. If you have some knowledge this Form will fill in the blanks. My restoration was in 1993 it was done in one year and I quit adding up cost at $10,000.00 at that point there was no going back. As my car is most of 30 years old again this last year I went bumper to bumper. At todays prices around $5,000.00. Much of that was a new top assy. called a Backlight or some may say Surrey top. You have a hill to climb for sure but you will not end up with just a car but a TRIUMPH in you head and garage. Here are a pic or two. Madflyer
dscf2363-jpg.68704
DSCF2301.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF2363.JPG
    DSCF2363.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 153
OP
SteveTheBrewer
Country flag
@Madflyer thank you! I already have more in new steel than the cost me originally and that number will continue to grow. But it will be worth it in the end. IMHO it’s one of the more desirable Spitfires and it also supposedly has the most desirable of engines too. I’m excited for what the future brings. Here is a picture of last nights fun.

Attachments

• BF500FAE-E567-465C-8F6B-0267EDDAA490.jpeg
    BF500FAE-E567-465C-8F6B-0267EDDAA490.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 32

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Glad to see you joined. You will like it here. These cars become a lifelong obsession for many. I have had mine since 2000 and I am still working on it. I have probably $10-15 Grand into mine over the years and it sits in the raw right now waiting for welding and warm weather so I can start redoing the bodywork I messed up the first two go arounds. You look like you are enjoying the experience. Keep at it!!

OP
SteveTheBrewer
Country flag
Glad to see you joined. You will like it here. These cars become a lifelong obsession for many. I have had mine since 2000 and I am still working on it. I have probably $10-15 Grand into mine over the years and it sits in the raw right now waiting for welding and warm weather so I can start redoing the bodywork I messed up the first two go arounds. You look like you are enjoying the experience. Keep at it!!
Thanks for the heads up on the forum. I have the opposite problem. I am trying to get as much done as possible while it is cool out!

I have a 13 month old son and a full time job so my time in the garage is quite limited. But I need to get out there on more weeknights just to keep it moving forward. 2 hours a week is going to take me 30 years to restore the car. Haha

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I did my car I also was working and older kids so sports etc. I would come home from work and boxes at the door. Open and install next thing it would be after midnight. Motor ,Trans, at home, body on new frame rolling tub and at paint shop, motor parts in the machine shop. All going on at the same time along with removing parts as needed from the two parts cars. All other running gear was powder coated. gas tank cleaned and resealed. I don't think even a restoration shop could do it in a year as I did.
I started with three took it to Zero and made it into something so what you may give up you will gain many times over. MF

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up on the forum. I have the opposite problem. I am trying to get as much done as possible while it is cool out!

I have a 13 month old son and a full time job so my time in the garage is quite limited. But I need to get out there on more weeknights just to keep it moving forward. 2 hours a week is going to take me 30 years to restore the car. Haha
You are getting a lot done. Shouldn't take you more than 20.;)

Willow71

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Steve, i am a new member to this forum too, look under New members, Willow71.
I am restoring a 1972 GT6 right now and i have had all the issues with it that you are going to deal with on your Spit.
Enthusiasm and effort are the easy things if your really into the cars, time on the other hand is always going to be the problem.
I have the luxury of most nights and weekends in the garage but even after 2 years i have only finished 3/4 of the body work.!!!
Keep the faith, it will all work out.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Steve, i am a new member to this forum too, look under New members, Willow71.
I am restoring a 1972 GT6 right now and i have had all the issues with it that you are going to deal with on your Spit.
Enthusiasm and effort are the easy things if your really into the cars, time on the other hand is always going to be the problem.
I have the luxury of most nights and weekends in the garage but even after 2 years i have only finished 3/4 of the body work.!!!
Hi and Welcome I am looking into two GT 6's A running car and a parts. Looking at all the basses they are Nevada cars and the driver is a SCCA racer. Tell me more about you GT 6. Madflyer

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve I looked at the two GT 6 yesterday one running and one a parts car. There are a lot of extras but look solid they were parked to tight to get around them very well being the price is right and Nevada cars show little rust. two motors and trans. They did cut a big hole out of one of the hoods but all glass looks good. If I go through with this some of the part well go to the Portland OR. meet in the next year or two. Canada is still closed. If you are looking for something in the months to come. contact me under Madflyer conversation.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome aboard, Steve! Orlando has a fairly active British car organization, you may find them helpful for resources.