• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'm not posting any more...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup, grew up with Pop Electronics, Life mag, Nat Geo. Mom was a "Book-of-the-Month Club" member so that was input as well.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I forgot about Mechanics Illustrated, I always read McCahills reports I still remember when he tested the XKE Jag, I think it was a dark blue one but wouldn't swear to it, fell in love with that car from day one! Memories, nice. :encouragement: PJ

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Since we couldn't afford magazines, the only one I had was Boy's Life. I would go to the barber shop to read Mechanics Illustrated and Popular Mechanics. The newer Mechanics Illistrated I saw at Dr's office was ok, but I did not think as informational as the older ones.

Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Speaking of Popular Science ...

GusCoverG.gif

http://www.gus-stories.org/The_Stories.htm

And much of what "Gus" wrote is still useful, especially to us folk who know what a carburetor does!
Tom M.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am looking at a Popular Science that is sitting on the kitchen table. National Geographic is another one I get though I do not get a chance to read it all the way through. I also get a couple of woodworking magazines and do make a very few of the projects.

Our local paper is now printed several states away and has more news/articles from New York times reporters, the Los Angeles times and the associated press than local stories. Every time the renewal notice comes I think I need to drop this paper. The other local weekly paper has just joined up with several local weekly papers. The beginning of the end for them as well.

David

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Funny, a lot of us grew up in the infancy of TV, crank phones, dial phones (Party lines), No cell phones, no computers, so the only thing to do in the house was read. We did get a TV in 1947, one of two in 10 miles, the cabinet was 3 feet wide, had doors on it and a whopping big 5" screen, it also had a short wave radio built in. TV came on about 6 in the evening and went off at 10. 3 stations, CBS, NBC and ABC. Remember the test patterns? I used to set in front of the TV and try to figure out how they got that test pattern from far away to our house and put it on the screen, not sure how it's done today! :highly_amused:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - you're describing my childhood! Floor model (console) with record player (16, 33, 45, 78 rpm), AM/FM radio, and TV. Something like this:

tv.jpg

The TV stations only broadcast in Fort Worth from 5:30am to 9am, then from 5pm to 10:30pm. ABC (channel 8), CBS (channel 3), NBC (channel 5), and our local independent station, KFJZ (channel 11). No UHF at the time. National anthem played as the stations signed off for the night.

Remember this?

indianhead640x480.gif

Country flag
I don't quite as far back as the 1940s, but I was a kid during the 60s with a small town party line and black and white TV set. Back then most TV wasn't interesting to me, subjects a kid just didn't get into for drama like daytime soaps when school was out. So it was reading and running around outside with friends. I miss the days when being connected meant your mail to arrived in the outside box...

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Tom McCahillisms:
Porsche - corners like a drop of water on a glass plate.
Some American car - steers like a Mississippi showboat.
Can't recall others.
He panned the Aston Martin DB2. Said it was dangerous at speed. John Bond of Road and Track did not mention him by name but said "Fortunately, Aston Martin is still in business. So unfortunately is the tester.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have some of the old Tom MCahill articles, but not the test of the Jag, sadly, as well as lots of other reading material to tide me over, nearly a room full (not hoarder style packed up everywhere, but bookshelves on the walls).IMG_20200411_083504381.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I still get popular mechanics. It's not as good as it once was.

I get the local paper every week.

D

Deleted member 8987

I'm not posting anymore...except...spent the morning in the ER. Scary, but they can't find anything.

The ER waiting room was EMPTY. We were the only ones there. This is epicenter central, Evergreen Hospital. Maybe two others there as we saw gurneys being wheeled back from scans or x-rays or whatever.
Staff tells us, regardless of what the news says, the incoming cases has dropped to effectively zero.

No spin, that's from the front lines.

From what we read I expected SRO in the ER. Surprising. Startling, even.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'm not posting anymore...except...spent the morning in the ER. Scary, but they can't find anything.

The ER waiting room was EMPTY. We were the only ones there. This is epicenter central, Evergreen Hospital. Maybe two others there as we saw gurneys being wheeled back from scans or x-rays or whatever.
Staff tells us, regardless of what the news says, the incoming cases has dropped to effectively zero.

No spin, that's from the front lines.

From what we read I expected SRO in the ER. Surprising. Startling, even.

true here also - a friend's granddaughter needed stitches - in and out in 15 minutes. The Covid cases are coming another way not through emerg. Interesting though that all the typical emerg stuff has evaporated.