• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'm a Spridgeteer again [or, Lordy help me, here I go again]

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I really wasn't looking for this. Nope. Had officially settled into happy one-car ownership. Understood all the reasons Bugeyes were not a good fit for me. Stopped looking.

Then Gray_Cat sent me a lead for a car earlier this week. Curses and praise all around.

Hemmed and hawed about calling on it, finally did make a call. That lead to finding some on the ground info, and a couple phone calls with very helpful locals (thanks Jim_Gruber for the contacts). Ultimately BillM agreed to look the car over for me, and (for good or bad) reported the car is a bit rough but fundamentally sound and largely original.

So I bought it. Lordy help me. :grin:

Making a flying journey down to southern California this weekend with a truck borrowed from my father-in-law and a trailer borrowed from a very helpful local club member. A bunch of enablers all.

It's a '59, RHD (authentically). Has a hardtop as well.

rhdbugeye.jpg

dklawson

Yoda
Congratulations! I'm sure we're all looking forward to more pictures and posts about your progress!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Congrats!

Country flag
Sweet! Is this going to be a full restoration?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sweet! Is this going to be a full restoration?

That's likely over the long term. Clutch has failed, so I'll probably replace the clutch and get things driving and leave it at that for now. The MGB has needs right now that come first, so it's quite possible that this car will sit in storage here for a while as I refill my bank account. I'm taking the very long view on this one, will work on it as time and money allows.

I really wasn't planning on this purchase, so I've had to shuffle some funds around to pull it off. Two weeks ago I was convinced I was done with Bugeyes. Now I just bought one. :grin:

Eventual vision is the normal Bugeye fare of 1275 (supercharged?), 5-speed, disc brakes, etc.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
At least he knows he has a problem.
Welcome back.
It looks like the launch platform you were seeking.
Makes me smile .

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats man! I won't tell you know who...
View attachment 28628

Thanks, Steve -- Tunebug's in good hands and well taken care of, don't think the little car would mind that I've found another. Same colors, same year, built maybe 3 or 4 months earlier. Not intentional, but happy that it worked out that way. :smile:

Great pair of smiles in that photo.

At least he knows he has a problem.
Welcome back.
It looks like the launch platform you were seeking.
Makes me smile .

Hello, my name is Drew and I have a Bugeye addiction...

Thanks, Gundy. I'm incredibly excited, even though I'm also really astounded that I did this -- I didn't intend to break my one-at-a-time rule. Heck, I even built my new shop only big enough for one car. Guess I'll have to park the daily driver outside again. Ah well, sometimes it's worth it. Probably the only car I'd make an exception for.

Hardest part now is waiting for the weekend so I can go get it.

macsprite

Welcome back, it certainly is an addiction. I am an Aussie living in the US but planning on returning to Australia with my Bugeye project at some point, so would like to build it up as a RHD.

Not sure if you wish to keep the RHD drive setup, which is a little hairy on US roads, or wish to convert to LHD. If you do, I would be interested in swapping all components for the RHD set.

I have a completely unmolested stock dash, radio plate is still in tact, no extra holes, good LHD dash cone / steering wheel plinth, Master Cylinder LHD clutch and brake pipes, longer LHD harness for dip switch and of course the LHD steering rack. The only other part I can think that may need changeover, is the driver's side seat slider, if you want the lever on the outer side.

Based on what I was told from AH Spares in the UK, I believe that the harness is already the correct length to serve either RHD or LHD. They only sell one harness for either LHD or RHD.

If you are interested let me know.

Best Regards
Lew

Last edited:
OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hahaha...Sprite and MGB. Perfect together!

Both white as well, Nial, so they're welcome in our white-car club.

Not sure if you wish to keep the RHD drive setup, which is a little hairy on US roads, or wish to convert to LHD. If you do, I would be interested in swapping all components for the RHD set.

Lew, I looked for a RHD car in particular (my MGB is RHD as well), so I won't be converting this one. It's an odd peculiarity of mine -- been driving my RHD MGB on US roads for the last 3 years and really enjoy it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hello, my name is Drew and I have a Bugeye addiction...

The first step is admitting you have a problem. Seriously, congrats (I hope) it sounds like a fun project! Of course we'll need lots of pictorial proof.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Seeing how you like the RHD....
and Brit.....my '77 Bonny 750 is for sale. It has the quirky clutch and brake arrangement and Brit
shift pattern as well as the kick start feature.
That Mk1 is way cool. Great goggly moggly.....the RHD is going to attract even more attention. Every stop will require a
Show and Tell session. 30 min. trips will take hours.
More pics/videos when available please.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The first step is admitting you have a problem. Seriously, congrats (I hope) it sounds like a fun project! Of course we'll need lots of pictorial proof.

Thanks JP. Sometimes you have to break your own rule when it's important enough to do so. This was one of those cases.

Seeing how you like the RHD....
and Brit.....my '77 Bonny 750 is for sale. It has the quirky clutch and brake arrangement and Brit
shift pattern as well as the kick start feature.
That Mk1 is way cool. Great goggly moggly.....the RHD is going to attract even more attention. Every stop will require a
Show and Tell session. 30 min. trips will take hours.
More pics/videos when available please.

Pics will follow. I've got a few others from Bill's look-over, and will have plenty to follow from the rescue trip.

As for the bike, well I'm out of motorcycling for the time being. Sold my BMW this past spring, haven't had a huge urge to get back into it. My crash a few years ago took some of the fun out of it for me. Good luck on the sale -- I'm happy to stay bikeless for now.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Some more photos from Bill's scouting mission. It's a sound car, running but with a bad clutch so not drivable. Rust in the fender beading and a bit behind the wheels. Floors solid. Needs a good cleaning. An essentially sound and unmolested little car with needs. Has a hard top. 948 with a ribcase.

There will be body work to do (maybe I'll finally learn to weld) and plenty of mechanical freshening. At least I'll be on familiar ground. Initial goal is to get it driving again, and then it'll mostly be back burnered while I focus on the MGB. It'll get it's day, though, just need to get the funds built back up.

inspection1.jpg

inspection2.jpg

inspection3.jpg

inspection4.jpg

inspection5.jpg

inspection6.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
looks like a really solid project! exciting.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drew, great to have you back and I'm looking forward to your posts. What's the name of this RHD Bugeye from the Left coast?
Rut

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew, great to have you back and I'm looking forward to your posts. What's the name of this RHD Bugeye from the Left coast?
Rut

Will be good to be back. No name yet, Rut. Car's got to earn that, not all do.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice patina, I wouldn't touch it. Get it running and enjoy as-is.

That's the plan for the time being, just get it moving under its own power and enjoy. No money left to do anything else anyways... :smile: