• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ignition parts quality

kozelding

Country flag
So my Healey's been on jackstands for almost two weeks, as I've tried to find time to deal with low overdrive pressure. Saturday I went to run it one last time to make sure everything was adjusted before putting back the tunnel and interior.... And, crap, after 10 seconds, it started running HORRIBLY. I couldn't believe it -- sputtering, backfiring, I could barely get it above 2500 RPM.

After furious troubleshooting, the problem turned out to be: a bad condenser.

I've read online folks complaining about bad ignition part quality, but this was first I've witnessed it. That condenser had barely 4000 miles on it! Plus, I've never known a bad condenser to cause such trouble -- it's just that thing you replace with the points 'cause it's cheap and easy.

Anyway, end of rant. At least now I know to make sure a condenser is always in my emergency parts bag.

Gearhead_Garage

Jedi Hopeful
Install a Pertronix and be done with points and condenser. Put black heat shrink over the two wires and you can barely tell the difference externally. I have Pertronix in 3 cars now, including a vintage race car. Works great, no worries.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
The thing with a condenser is they can last forever, or fail in 5 minutes. They have a small floating paper disc to serve as an insulator in them and holes can develop. I had one once that would run fine, then rough then fine and so on. The insulator had a small hole burn in it and when that hole lined up right would short internally. As said, moving away from pre electronic components will solve that, but can bring on issues of their own, nothing is 100% failure proof..

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Install a Pertronix and be done with points and condenser. Put black heat shrink over the two wires and you can barely tell the difference externally. I have Pertronix in 3 cars now, including a vintage race car. Works great, no worries.

:iagree:-----------:applause:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Agree with the Pertronix users. I've been using Pertronix for 10 years and fried a couple of them, too. Now I'm using the ignitor as well as Pertronix' non-ballasted coil. Had a no-name coil go bad before and fry the pertronix. I've also fried them trying to test the spark or leaving the ignition on with the motor off for a couple of minutes. The biggest danger to the Pertronix are mis-handling during tuneup and incorrect polarity.

Using the condenser, you should carry maybe 4 of the tested spares from Advanced Distributor, as well as a spare coil. Today's condensers are all cheaply made in China with the possible exception of the Standard, which is made in Mexico. Use the red rotor design from Advanced or Moss. Some of the older rotors especially the ones with the brass rivet are unreliable.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Electronic versus original ignition is a hot topic here at the moment. On my side (original) we know that if trouble should occur far from home there is always a way to get mobile again if the appropriate spares are on hand. The biggest problem seems to be poor quality after-market parts. Genuine Lucas parts are preferable!
Wood touching is definitely happening here at the moment!

Country flag
Electronic versus original ignition is a hot topic here at the moment. On my side (original) we know that if trouble should occur far from home there is always a way to get mobile again if the appropriate spares are on hand. ...

Pertronix aren't THAT expensive. I installed mine with quick-connect spade connectors; I can swap out my Pertronix as fast, if not faster, than you can install points and adjust them (and heaven forbid you drop one of the tiny washers on the points). Unfortunately, in my case my Pertronix is old and they've made a slight change in the mounting meaning I'd have to ballpark the timing if I have to install the new one.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Electronic versus original ignition is a hot topic here at the moment. On my side (original) we know that if trouble should occur far from home there is always a way to get mobile again if the appropriate spares are on hand. The biggest problem seems to be poor quality after-market parts. Genuine Lucas parts are preferable!
Wood touching is definitely happening here at the moment!

NOS Lucas would be good if you find any. The new parts labelled 'Lucas' these days consist of regular Chinese stuff with all their faults (according to my source at Moss).

FWIW, On trips I carry a spare DM6 distributor with gapped points as well as spare condensers and rotors. My disty has bullet and eye connectors and a wiring diagram so it can be setup on anyone's non-BJ8. I index the base plate to the block with a tick mark so each distributor can be swapped out (on my car at least) without adjusting the timing.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The older rotors especially the ones with the brass rivet are unreliable.

This is because the rivet reduces the dielectric path length between the spark and the grounded dizzy shaft.
The repeated arching along this path virtually creates a direct short to ground.

What I have done in the past was,Drill out the rivet in a new rotor and fill the void with JB weld. That seemed to work very well.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Pertronix aren't THAT expensive.

Well BOB, that depends on where you are located. Here in the US they are cost effective. In the UK you will need a second job to afford one :highly_amused:
IN OS I do not know but It may be a bit expensive there too.

Country flag
Pertronix aren't THAT expensive.

Well BOB, that depends on where you are located. Here in the US they are cost effective. In the UK you will need a second job to afford one :highly_amused:
IN OS I do not know but It may be a bit expensive there too.

I understand there is an equivalent--'Spark' something-or-other--that is available in the UK and quite affordable.

healeymanjim

Freshman Member
in our british car club we have folks with and without electronic ignition. some have had good luck with them and others not so good. two friends with a morgan and mgb pulled their petronix and replaced with normal ignition and have not had any problems since. i have concluded there is more to hooking up and electronic ignition than just sticking it in and hoping it will work ok. possible something to do with positive ground, but not sure. i am staying away from electronic ignitions. have limped home mores than a few times with old system and always carry spares.

Duncan M

Freshman Member
I would definitely get pertronix for any vintage racing car. Getting one because of bad luck with a condenser is a bit out there. A lucas MGB condenser will work on almost anything, if you are that hard up. When I do a tune up I always buy a new condenser when I buy points, but do not install the condenser unless the one in there is suspect. I've been using the same condenser for a LONG time. When you switch to pertronix you need to replace your points coil with an overpriced one. No thanks. I knowa lotof people get pertronix because their car is eating points. Rather than re-bush their distributor, they get pertronix and wait until the whole thing wobbles its way out of the engine and goes into orbit. Not a good tactic. They are good for racing cars because they allow for easier starting, and allow higher rev's than a points setup.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When you switch to pertronix you need to replace your points coil with an overpriced one.

NO That is a misconception:

The pertronix is an excellent upgrade for these old LBC.
Simplicity of installation is achieved using negative ground.
However, both sets of installation instructions are easily followed.

Pertronix is quite happy tooling along on an original lucas sport coil.
Modern versions are smaller and do not arc from the tower.

However, the hotter the coil the more fire you put in the hole.

Country flag
... Pertronix is quite happy tooling along on an original lucas sport coil.

Yup. Been running with that setup for many moons and miles. Lucas Sport Coils are known to have quality issues (unless they've been rectified).

Edit: I misread this; my Pertronix has been running for many years on a STOCK Lucas coil. The Sports Coils are known to have problems (from a trusted source); but quality may have improved.

Last edited:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm running a Pertronix non-ballast coil after having qc issues with the Lucas sport coil. Jeff at Advanced Distributors recommends Bosch Big Blue Coils - evidently they are filled with resin as opposed to the others filled with oil.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've been using a Crane electronic ignition and Lucas sports coil for 15 years with no problems. I recently added a Crane optical trigger to my speedometer cable to run a tripmeter.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm running a Pertronix non-ballast coil after having qc issues with the Lucas sport coil. Jeff at Advanced Distributors recommends Bosch Big Blue Coils - evidently they are filled with resin as opposed to the others filled with oil.

Yeah Steve that is a good coil you use to be able to find them in older Volvos in the junk yard a they were stock ignitio items.