• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

If you had to put in new countertop tomorrow, would you use:

If you had to put in new countertop tomorrow, would you use:

• Ceramic Tile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Laminate/Formica

• Concrete

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Acrylic

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Corian

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Quartz

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Granite

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Marble

• Soapstone

• Stainless Steel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Five years ago we were in Florida outside of Port St. Joe and a 30 yr old 12x60 trailer on a half acre corner lot fenced was $1.2mil.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I drove past. Figured I was good where I was at.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This is the Chinese acrylic fake Corian, cabinet doors missing due to poor hinges (H.D. sourced), now need to remake a few of the doors as a result. Made countertop longer that the original laminate and a radius at the ends so as not to bash hips.
sinkCounter.jpg

And the cantilevered bar pass-through of the same material. Pardon the cat (Nimrod!).

bar-nim2.jpg

That space was a wall between hall and kitchen, wasted space. Cut it out and built overhead cabinets on both sides and recessed lighting for the bar.

Last edited:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Yep, never forget the cat's place in the kitchen. Wife had a customer once that said, "my cat never gets on the kithchen counters". Wife asked if she wanted to bet. Lady came back the next week and said she was right.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
There is nothing in a house that a cat never gets on. My daughter's cat used to get on the kitchen counters and tease her dog. Sometimes drop a snack down for him as if to remind him that she could get on the counter and he could not. Devious animal, Miss Kitty. There is a narrow brick ledge right below the front door bell. She was usually a house cat but did go out sometimes. She learned to jump up on that ledge and ring the door bell to get back in. Darn smart animal Miss Kitty. Oh, one more trait. She and the lady of the house did not get along all that well. More than once she relieved her bowels in SWMBO's shoes to get even for some perceived transgression. Devious animal, Miss Kitty. We do miss her though.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
HaHaHa! Time capsule in the worst way!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Don't know what I'd use for a countertop but I'd definitely plan on putting one of these in the corner join under the new top
Ha ha! And give some poor future home owners a heart attack when they go to remodel 50 years from now!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
DRAT! I didn't leave dead space in the corner. A "Lazy Susan" instead, to max out storage space yet keep it accessible. Mayhaps I should reconsider...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It’s dead space anyway.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
If you don't use quartz or granite when you go to sell the house your real estate agent will say the kitchen looks "dated" and needs an upgrade, as will some prospective buyers. Of course I don't know what they next great thing is, so maybe quartz and granite will look dated soon--custom concrete can look pretty cool too.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No matter what the final choice is, the real estate agent will find ways to ding it: "You should ~stage~ the house." "The bathroom(s) are dated." "The lighting could use some improvement." etc.

Like art directors, they feel a need to put their stamp on it. They're both like male cats... 😏

Choose what appeals to you! You're the one to live in the place. With the age and "provenance" of that house, I'd seriously consider concrete. Available in the period, solid, durable and if done right, quite attractive. But that's just my tuppence.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yep, never forget the cat's place in the kitchen. Wife had a customer once that said, "my cat never gets on the kithchen counters". Wife asked if she wanted to bet. Lady came back the next week and said she was right.
It's when the dog gets on the kitchen counter ....