• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

If you had to put in new countertop tomorrow, would you use:

If you had to put in new countertop tomorrow, would you use:

• Ceramic Tile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Laminate/Formica

• Concrete

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Acrylic

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Corian

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Quartz

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Granite

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Marble

• Soapstone

• Stainless Steel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Other: good old wood.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Other: good old wood.
Yes, I'd have added butcher-block. It's a popular surface (or was). My mother loved hers. That written, it did require maintenance with the occasional re-oiling and/or paraffin treatment.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Wood would match the old house, wife says concrete would be indestrucible, but the go to is granitsee.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Since I have a manufactured home which is not as heavily built as an older on-site build (and not sitting directly on a slab) I'd go with whichever material weighed the least. Not knowing much about the materials listed I'd probably guess a wood or laminate as being the lightest weight?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Since I have a manufactured home which is not as heavily built as an older on-site build (and not sitting directly on a slab) I'd go with whichever material weighed the least. Not knowing much about the materials listed I'd probably guess a wood or laminate as being the lightest weight?
In that case, I'd definitely go laminate.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Croian IS acrylic. I guess adding the two totals is fair.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Of course there is a HUGE difference in cost between the different materials here! And durability. I am about to start a big renovation project in my apartment and will most likely be using engineered quartz for countertops.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The comments and votes in this thread are *really* interesting and useful.

I'm still not convinced that the much more expensive surfaces are really worth the extra dollars, other than just for looks. I know there's always a "return on investment", but could someone explain how that actually works? I put in $20K for the kitchen and get $16K in added value on sale of the house. I put in $5K and get $4K in added value at sale. Isn't that a negative ROI, regardless of amount spent?

Thanks.
Tom M.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
User fee!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
User fee! LOL
User fee indeed! Seriously though it is also your enjoyment. We are about to pull the trigger on a new kitchen here even though I doubt we will be living here many more years (less than 5 on the current trajectory) Most of that is just because the old kitchen is done and we like a nice looking and functional house. However, in terms of ROI - don't forget that it is more than 5k in 4k out - a house with a nice kitchen will sell quicker - so, theoretically if you are paying a mortgage of $1000 and it sells a month quicker, in (I know I am painting with a braid brush) you have broken even 5k in = 4k return + 1k opportunity cost. Another way to consider it is what is happening here in Ontario (Toronto especially) Families can (just) afford the mortgage but not improvements so are getting into bidding wars, partly because it is a seller's market but also because then the improvements (nice kitchen/ hardwood floors etc etc) are a part of the mortgage and not on top of the mortgage. So. coming back to our kitchen, even if we can't connect the in-out dots, I believe it will pay off in the big picture. Besides, you can't take it with you (I've checked) and IIRC you don't have heirs so get what you want! :D

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks JP. I think I'd rather have my heirs get my savings, than a depreciated countertop!

I'm one of those weird people who doesn't want to spend $$$ just to have a pretty countertop, when $ will do the job. Around here (New England) houses are sold in "bidding wars", so there's no incentive to pay big bucks to add bling. A mobile home on a half acre of land goes for $200K these days. Ridiculous.

And my IFY (Inner Frugal Yankee) still says "why would anyone pay $150/square foot for countertop when $25/square foot does the job".

A penny saved is a penny earned. I learned that when I was an apprentice to B. Franklin.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Don't get me wrong - I am all about a penny saved blah blah :smile: - my real point is get what you want. :cheers:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If you use the kitchen the most get what you want, but otherwise the spouse gets it.