• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ideas for an Alloy Racer

MikeAH100M

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have a top-notch mechanic friend who just acquired a basket case BN2. He's rebuilding the car from the frame up and was recently able to acquire an all alloy body. So his idea is to create a light racer. My question to the forum, what mods would you recommend to him? He is an exotic car mechanic and restorer so cost and skill are not an issue. I've suggested an alloy head, the LeMans cold air box/carbs and front discs (he may go discs on all four corners). What else would you add when the sky's the limit?
Thanks
Mike
PS: He's thinking about leaving the body bare polished which I think would be cool to see. His goal is to have the car done by next year's Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix.

Country flag
A long time ago I read an article by a 100M racer; he said he'd done dyno work that showed the car had more HP with velocity stacks instead of the cold air box. That makes sense since with the box air has to make a sharp 90deg turn, which more than negated the effect of slightly cooler air.

BBH

Country flag
If staying 4 cylinder could he not put in a 100S spec engine. Alternatively he could stay with the alloy theme and put in one of the aluminium 6 cyl engines available which would give quite a bit of weight reduction.

wangdango

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
We have campaigned a '56 100 Le Mans for many years until the birth of my daughter and racing went on hold. I can tell you, the cold air box in theory works, (ram air), however really good free flowing air filters work better. Another thing that the 100 engine really likes is a exhaust pipe all the way to the rear of the car, the back pressure is a benefit. We have headers, and run a 2 1/2" straight thru exhaust with stubby supertrap on the end, (made it up with a stubby supertrapp and cut off the smaller pipe and tig welded a bigger one. Most of the time can run the car without any of the disks/baffles. Just my 2 cents. Our car is also all alloy except the door skins and the boot lid, (have an alloy door skin and an alloy lid, just have not got around to fitting it). Keep us posted on the project!

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If he's interested in making a real vintage racer, one that he could ultimately sell as a "turn key" ready to race car that would be accepted by most sanctioning race organizations, he'll need to do his home work. I love the idea and always preach to all who'll listen, GET YOUR HEALEY ON THE TRACK.

https://www.svra.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Austin_healey.pdf

OP
MikeAH100M

MikeAH100M

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for all of the suggestions and for any others that pop up. I hope to get some "before" pictures this weekend and will keep the forum posted on progress.

BN2guy

Freshman Member
I would think that before your friend makes any modifications to his BN2, he would be wise to check with the race organization to determine what modifications are allowed for cars in the class in which he intends to participate. That's the first part of doing the homework. If he's interested in true vintage racing, he will probably be limited to only those modifications that were allowed back in the day.

Personally, I really enjoy seeing Healeys in vintage races. So, I wish him nothing but good luck.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This isn't a serious suggestion but more in line with what I'd like to do if I had unlimited funds. Looking at the 100S register shows that 7 or 8 Ss had V8 conversions and at least one, AHS 3505, competed in SCCA C/Modified which had a limit of 5000ccs. https://www.northernhealey.co.uk/austin_healey_100s_history.php I'm guessing the motor was probably a 283 Corvette motor. I'd love to see a 100S replica configured this way to compete in vintage racing against some of the early 289 Cobras with their leaf spring front suspension. It would be fun to see a Healey racing with the big iron of vintage racing. although Frankenhealey's car comes pretty close: https://www.britishv8.org/Other/IanOsborne.htm Even though these were modifications done in period, I don't think a vintage racing org would admit such a car.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey HealeyRick, It may be fun to watch a Healey racing with Corvettes and the other big dogs from the bleachers ....... but sitting in the pilot's seat in a Healey while on the track with those monsters is not for the faint of heart. A couple of points. They out-weight a Healey by almost 1000 pounds. They sit a bit higher and don't see you so well. They slide through the turns more violently that you do. Because they're bigger than you they use their size to intimidate you so you won't attempt to make a pass in the turns ....... similar to blocking but not as blatant.
The good thing is that the early Corvettes (the ones that race with Healeys in some organizations) have drum brakes. And, as the race goes on, and because they are heavier, their brakes start to fade and their tires start to go away, and then we can pass them under braking. Yeah Baby !!!!!

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
When developed to to the highest level and driven with great "anger" the big Healey can dominate.....

BBH

Country flag
Well that had a bit of every-thing, shame the BRG healey was wiped out by the lightweight e-type.

What sort of power was Marc's car putting out? Also from what looked like a lot of late braking into corners, I am guessing that his brake set-up had a bit more bite than normal..

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Based on what I know from other UK racing Healeys I would guess Marc's car is putting out around 275bhp. It hasn't been out racing for a while, not sure why. Hopefully we might see it at Castle Coombe next month in the all-Healey race. The green Healey that was hit by the German E-Type is raced by Chris Clarkson. It also suffered some heavy damage in June this year at Silverstone. Hopefully it will be ready for Castle Coombe