• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'd forgotten...

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
just how much noise gets trapped inside the car with the hard top on it. I put my SnugTop back on my car this past weekend, and at the time I was more concerned with whether or not it'll amplify the exhaust resonance. I'd completely forgotten how it completely changes the characteristics of the car. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I could swear by the seat of my pants that the extra 20 - 50lbs added to the car makes it feel sluggish. However, that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that the valve noise is amplified by about 200% with that thing on the car. It really makes me want to add sound deadening to the whole car, completely rebuild the head, or hurry up and get a new soft top.

It's my daily driver... so, am I bad for not enjoying my car when it wears its hard hat?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've given this some thought... what I intend to do here is add some sound deadening to the hardtop in the form of a headliner.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Just turn up the stereo!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
'64 MGB... What's this "stereo" you referr to?!?

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Same stereo my '66 MGB doesn't have.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Truth to tell, I've switched it over to negative earth for just that reason. There will be a "modern" radio in it.

Steve_S

Yoda
You can have the one I pulled out of my '65 if I can find it in the attic. Radio schmadio! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
I've driven quite a bit with factory hardtops and didn't notice much of a difference.....with the windows up it's quiter than the softop. I actually really like the B's with hardtops, kinda cocooned.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
As of next week, I'll have a factory hardtop for every one of my MGB's!....& only need a couple for all my Midgets to have one (plus need a MkII Midget to go under the MkII hardtop I have!).

R6MGS

Yoda
Me too!...Course I've got alot less MGB's.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
see.... i'm rockin' the "SnugTop" hard top. It doesn't look nearly as nice on the car as an OEM top does. I like the reduced wind noise and the improved insolation from the cold of the hard top, but my top seems to reduce the amount of exhaust note I hear, and increase the amount of engine noise I hear.

I have a radio, but no speakers in my B. Been putting off installing my 1993 Alpine CD player until I recarpet the interior.... been putting off the recarpet until I get the carpet and some sound deadening mats.....

eh... I guess I just like the open feel with the top off. Oh well, can't wait til next year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
my top seems to reduce the amount of exhaust note I hear, and increase the amount of engine noise I hear.

[/ QUOTE ]
Completely normal for a hard top.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bet sound deading material all over inside including the fire wall and a real interior in the hard top would work wonders for the winter.

Wonder if there is an aftermarket blower that would work for the heater to really move some warm air?

Steve_S

Yoda
The stock heater and blower fan should cook you. I only leave mine on full blast when it's really cold and the top is down. I don't care how cold it is, my feet sweat with the heat on and the top up.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup! That thing (in a B, anyway) will make toast of ya in the winter. Western PA gets as cold as -10F, sometimes colder, but we'd still need to "dial it back" after a short while. Very good units.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As I remember Bugeye units are not that good.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Originally posted by Steve_S:[ QUOTE ]
The stock heater and blower fan should cook you. I only leave mine on full blast when it's really cold and the top is down. I don't care how cold it is, my feet sweat with the heat on and the top up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Originally posted by DocE:[ QUOTE ]
Yup! That thing (in a B, anyway) will make toast of ya in the winter. Western PA gets as cold as -10F, sometimes colder, but we'd still need to "dial it back" after a short while. Very good units.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmmmmm... Apparently, mine needs work then. Mine gets hot enough, but it doesn't really "cook" me. It doesn't even get too warm until 20 to 30 minutes after the start of the drive. Or maybe I should swap to a 180Deg thermostat? I've a 160 in there ATM. Or that coolant flushing that I've been meaning to do is in need...

Steve_S

Yoda
Your heater core is probably clogged up. It's a bear of a job to remove and repair it. You can try flushing and reverse flushing the heating circuit. But if it's that bad then you may want to watch for leaks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, now mine is all shiny-new inside and out! And yes indeed it is a task to pull one.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
yeah... not really looking forward to doing it...