• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I will soon have a 350i in the US

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
I agree, there's nothing like that V8 power and sound, as I have found out over the last 10 days here in the UK. I've heard the beautiful sound of more V8 wedges and other TVRs than I could have imagined and went out for excellent rides in both a 350i and one of the very rare supercharged 400SX models which was a BLAST! Now I'm dreaming of finding a way to import a 400SE into the States so that I can enjoy it myself. but then, I also spoke to a company that is developing supercharges for various TVR models currently and over the next couple of years, may also develop one for the 2.8 litre V6......stay tuned!!!

Marshall

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
No offense taken Scotty. It's only money after all........ That having been said don't tell the wife!

Sparkie

Glad to hear you are having a great time Marshall. Have a good flight back tomorrow.

I thought about supercharging, but no one on the planet (that I can find) makes forged pistons for the Cologna engine - even the newest 4.0L. Of course you can get some custom JE's but they are not cheap. Then there's that twinky oil pump (which Melling should have a high volume avail in a year - prototype running in a car now) and the non-oiling rocker to pushrod, etc. Even hypereutectic's are not recommended for such severe service.

As Russ says, it's only money.... How fast do you want to go?

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
the nice thing about the system these guys have developed for the 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0 litre Chimaeras and Griffs is that it doesn't require any buildup of the engine, its a straight bolt-on system. On the Chimaera, you get about a 100 hp increase according to what I was told yesterday. It's a very well designed system plus, I spoke with the driver who did extended testing on it through Europe including the Alps, and he was getting above 25 mpg on the road with it. They understand there could be a good market for the V6 version but they want to make sure the current systems are well proven before they branch out to the V6 versions (hopefully in about two years). I'm going to keep an eye on their progress.

Marshall

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
You will not make me switch back to a V6 for anything Marshall! Seriously, the motor is in, now the custom headers and then wiring and I am back on the road!

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Quick update: Engine is in and almost fully connected. There is several items to button up and a fair amount of wiring to do as well as redoing the fuel lines as the car has sat for awhile. I think it will back on the road in 3 weeks.

BTW< Marshall I have the article written with pics. Just need to get the car running so I can give a driving impression. I'll have it to you by October 1 for the TVR times

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Here is a teaser.......
Car is back on the road. After sorting a few issues (not major) the review of the entire process will be in article in the next TVR times. So if you are not a member of the TVRNCCA, give Marshall a call and join! Hows that for a shill job Marshall?

Sparkie

Yes, congratulations Russ! Well done. Can't wait to get my TVR Times.

Is it done yet, Marshall?

My project is through the first stage, procuring the parts. I now have the tranny, flywheel, starter, Megasquirt and two flavors of engines to choose from; OHV or SOHC Ford V6 (cologna's).

Happy motoring Russ!

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Scotty,
I'm running a bit behind on this issue, but I should have it ready for layout later this week. Then give the printer about three weeks and it will be ready to go in the mailstream to members.

Marshall