• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I thought the Grand Canyon would be warmer...

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
... but NO! My wife and I arrived in a raging snowstorm (as many were turning back on highway 64 north from Williams). Visibility was 300 feet and snow was piling to 6". Windy too.
Said canyon (south rim) was put away... folded up and nowhere to be found. :wink-new: Thankfully, the next morning it was 12F, sunny and no wind... so they re-assembled the entire diorama. It looked so REAL there at the El Tovar (where we stayed). :glee: Who'd have thunk it?!
We layered with nearly every piece of clothing we had (since we'd previously spent a week in Palm Springs, then to Tucson, Bisbee and a few other places in southern AZ).

2018-02-24 09.00.47.jpg

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Except your wife's right glove...

Good catch! Actually, she did have another glove but might have had it off to use her phone's camera (per this shot). At least she had a scarf! If it had been windy, it might have been impossible.

Here we were on Friday, February 23rd... and Helen points to "the so-called canyon" right behind us. :playful:

2018-02-23 11.22.47.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Here's a fun shot I took in the local museum. There was no way I was going to get our rented Chevy Cruze out there :highly_amused:... but, get this, I saw a guy walk out to about there the middle of that car was, and this was on SNOW!!! I told Helen "let's get out of here quick - I don't want to report the accident or watch the ravens go to work down at the bottom of the canyon!"

2018-02-23 13.18.55.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And you drove the Bugeye - I'm impressed!

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Wish I'd known you were traveling AZ. I would have suggested Goldfield. Turns out I photographed a ghost when I was there in October.
user70056_pic15615_1519006262.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Wish I'd known you were traveling AZ. I would have suggested Goldfield. Turns out I photographed a ghost when I was there in October.

The other day I was scanning some old prints. One was this one of a funeral home in the town where I grew up! (really). Look! You can see a ghost in the pine tree on the left!

Funeralhome.jpg

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
We were in Palm Springs with friends for about a week. Then flew to Phoenix and stayed with friends in Fountain Hills for a few days. Then it was down to Tombstone, and staying in Bisbee. Then back up to Tucson to stay with a cousin. Then up to the south rim of the Canyon... and then back to Phoenix to fly home.
The weather turned pretty cool by their standards (though Palm Springs and Joshua Tree was perfect if cool for them).
Yes, the Grand Canyon had a unique beauty in the snow... and, if nothing else, there were few visitors.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Looks like a real ghost to me! Was this taken around Halloween, :devilgrin: bet it was, that's when they sneak out and getchya! :highly_amused: Neat picture. PJ