• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I had an accident.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
David, that is an impressive fish. At least I know that no matter what I'll still be able to float around in my canoe and drink beer, errr I mean fish.

Wow! I've never drank a fish... :devilgrin:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Hope you get healed! Hate ladders, let alone having to use a step stool to get over a fender. Too easy to fall now. Take care, enjoy the wife's attention.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your accident. With a positive attitude you will prove the docs wrong.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I'm glad you're still around Walter. A guy I knew was helping his dad out when he fell from a ladder. Never woke from the head injury. Passed away a couple days later. Heal well.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Larry, I unburdened myself of a wife a few years ago. I have a retired wound care nurse of a mom watching me. My girlfriend has been over nearly every day.
Greg, I do miss the funny SNL from back in the day. After hearing your story about the guy you know I feel lucky.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A few of us watched SNL when it first started.
You would ask someone "Have you seen SNL?",they
would reply "When's it on?".

Country flag
Started in college watching it with the first season. Quality has come and gone and come and gone over the years. Back when they didn't worry about offending anyone and everyone. Today a lot of the early humor wouldn't be appreciated by many. Headmaster of the school for the deaf for example.. And some like their Curtin/Ackroyd point/counterpoint younger folks wouldn't remember the reference.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Can you imagine them showing the Richard Pryor/Chevy Chase job interview nowadays?

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yikes all my wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

I take an annual "working at heights" safety course at work, required so that I can get up on a stepladder :wink-new: which is about as high as I ever need to go at work. Still came in handy when I needed to rent a 6m ladder a while ago. They wouldn't have let me rent it if I wasn't officially certified for working at height. Strangely I could just buy the ladder no questions asked, just cant rent it.

Country flag
Can you imagine them showing the Richard Pryor/Chevy Chase job interview nowadays?

I can't imagine them even presenting it to the cast as a proposed sketch these days, they'd be too afraid of offending and getting fired and/or sued for being intolerant. Satire completely escapes some these days. Not SNL, but Blazing Saddles wouldn't get consideration either.

And for those who wonder, no I don't approve of any intent to degrade, there is a difference from making fun of intolerance.

Country flag

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I am counting myself lucky, the past couple weeks I have been insulating the ceiling of my garage. I have one of those multi ladders that locks in position and set 3 of 4 sections straight and one folded it is just the right height to lay the top on the ceiling joist and squeeze my overly large body through the 15" inches to tack up the insulation.

The ladder didn't feel right, one of the joints not locking right, so I monkeyed with it, thought I had it fixed, climbed up about 6-7 steps, and it collapsed.

I fell with a big thunk. Knocked the wind out of me a bit. Landed on an elbow and one hand splayed so wrist took the brunt of it. I looked underneath me, of all the things I could have landed on laying about the garage, boards, lawn equipment, sharp metal objects, I landed on a bag of sand which I had been too lazy to put in the back of my 2wd pickup this winter.

The worst immediate hurt was my finger bone, still smarts two weeks later.

Falling at nearly 60 is not nearly the same as falling at 20 or a kid, we used to jump off the 12 foot high garage roof for fun, I don't think you could put humpty dumpty back together again after something like that now.

Also have a bad knee I talked to the doctor a couple weeks ago about replacing. Many things I will still be able to do, somethings I used to always be able to do gone.

If there is physical therapy involved in your injury follow up religiously, have talked toany who after surgery or injury did not, and regret it.

Last edited:

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
If the cane does become inevitable. take up a little woodworking and make some really cool ones. But my bet is on proving the doc's predictions wrong! Healing speed!
I've got a walking stick I take with me on hikes. it's saved my butt more than once especially sneaking between a tree and a big mud hole or testing the snow for depth, or if it's camouflaging said mud hole.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Walter, Just read about your injury, sorry to hear! The fishing sounds like a good idea during recuperation! (y)

Country flag
Don't have to fall far, the landing if awkward will do it. When I was in high school my mom fell about 18 inches off a step stool while hanging wallpaper, broke a foot and was in a wheel chair for a couple weeks.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Wow, thanks guys for the new round of well wishes. Im a bit shocked to see this thread resurrected after so much time.

I've progressed better and faster than anyone thought I would. I was walking with a walker from October to December then switched to a cane and used it for about six weeks. I'm currently walking without an aid and am up to where I can manage a couple of miles at a time. That's the good.

My foot is still badly swollen, the bottom of my heel into the arch is basically flat which makes walking uncomfortable. The outside of my foot is still numb. My ankle has lost quite a bit of range of motion and regaining that is painfully slow. That's the bad.

The doctor says I should invest in a handicap placard, like heck I will, and that I may never be able to wear my ostrich boots again (that makes me want to cry).