• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I fear for the future of the republic...

OP
M
Country flag
I just can’t help but think back to the days when someonemaking change got the total of the bill and then would count from there up tothe amount received. I guess I’m oldenough to believe that to be a basic skill, like putting on your underwearbefore your pants and shirt. Sort oflike geography that I learned in elementary so I knew where in the worldeveryplace else was.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I just can’t help but think back to the days when someonemaking change got the total of the bill and then would count from there up tothe amount received. I guess I’m oldenough to believe that to be a basic skill, like putting on your underwearbefore your pants and shirt. Sort oflike geography that I learned in elementary so I knew where in the worldeveryplace else was.
I learned how to make change from my Dad when we had a small grocery store.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Worked retail off-and-on from age 16. From cameras to cars. Learned to make change well before that. "It's just numbers" was the way the Old Man explained it. Had "New Math" from seventh grade, got the concept early. Binary and hex were a piece of cake later.

And for something completely different...

https://youtu.be/xviBqhV-Ga0

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
They taught you to count in Indonesian in Texas ??
aEkJJWj.gif
Satu dua tiga empat lima....

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Klaatu barada nikto.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Heh, it's not just change. Years ago I bought a battery for my car at a well-known auto parts chain. It needed a group 51-R. The guy grabbed a group 51 from the rack by mistake. Took it outside, started to change it in the parking lot, and realized he sold me the right one, but grabbed the wrong one. Went back in to straighten it out, explaining what he did wrong. Heck no! We can't just swap them, we have to do a return on the one you're bringing back, or our inventory will be screwed up. I tried to explain his inventory is already screwed up, and it would be very easy to correct both of our problems without screwing up his inventory. Nope, he had to make matters worse, and he was still scratching his head as he was examining the battery shelf why the batteries on the rack didn't match the counts on his computer. Oh well....

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Still have Klaatu at home on the 1970s album, got it during college all those years ago.

as a Toronto band I wasn't sure how much airplay it got south of the border - I clearly remember the summer and the rumour that it was the Beatles.

OP
M
Country flag
Didn’t get a whole lot of play, least in SW Ohio, but heardthem on the radio at the time
and decided to buy the album. Have some of it burned onto my travelingmusic stick these days.