• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to take a shower in the garage

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
RonMacPherson said:
I quit giving any credence to Satch Carlson after he was convicted of child molestation...
Hardly a "child" by any normal definition ... 17 year old high school senior. Age of consent is only 16 where it happened; which is why he was never actually convicted!

R

RonMacPherson

He used to write, quite well in my opinion, for AutoWeek.

He was a high school teacher who was charged with sexual encounters with four female students. Some were 16, One was 17. Autoweek, fired him and Alaska changed their laws regarding sexual molestation due to this case.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You mean "accused", not "charged". Charges were only filed in the case of the 17 yo, and that case was dropped.

And even a 16 year old is hardly a "child".

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Ah, I never heard why Mr Carlson's column disappeared. Makes sense.

I have found his statment to be true though.

R

RonMacPherson

May I ask "which statement"? Mr. Carlson's?

I find it ethically immoral for Mr. Carlson's act. He was an adult teacher, the gal who got civil judgment award was just 17 at the time of the incident. To me, it is morally wrong for an adult with supervisory powers to impugn a teenager. The authorities found that Satch Carlson did.... Along with another instructor.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
the statement about the antifreeze, having been showered with the stuff both hot and cold.

The other stuff....my preferred punishment for that kind of thing involves barn doors and large organic fiber intrusive manually activated material securing units, nuff said... this is a family forum after all.

dklawson

Yoda
Two stinky auto fluid stories from my past come to mind.

1st
When I was a toddler my father (for some reason) decided to buy half of a pig from a local slaughter house. With that you also got parts that normally would have been thrown out or used elsewhere... such as two gallons of rendered lard. Dad put my sisters in the back of the station wagon with the carcass and lard telling them not to let it tip over. They started playing and messing with each other so when dad rounded a street corner the open topped gallon containers of lard tipped over spilling their entire contents into the back of the wagon, down into the spare tire storage, and filling every nook and cranny of the car's back half. After the beatings ended my father went through several gallons of varsol degreasing and deodorizing the family car. For the rest of the time we had that car I remember it had the little Christmas Tree deodorizers dangling from the rear view mirror.

2nd
When I was a teen and thought I knew better than my car's service manuals I was replacing my Toyota's clutch. The books said to drain the tranny first before removal. What did they know. Certainly I could skip that unnecessary step and therefore NOT have to put fresh gear oil in the box when I was done. On my back, under the car, I pulled the driveshaft out of the back of the gearbox and a torrent of 90W oil poured out before I could roll out of the way. The oil soaked every inch of my head. I had shoulder length curly hair at the time and it held at least a cup or more of gear oil better than a sponge. Moments later a friend of mine arrived at the house and couldn't stop laughing when they saw me slide out from under the car. Once the laughter stopped I asked them to go inside and get my mom's big box of Tide laundry detergent. I washed my hair 3 times with Tide and a garden hose and my head still smelled bad for about a week.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
dklawson said:
They started playing and messing with each other so when dad rounded a street corner the open topped gallon containers of lard tipped over spilling their entire contents into the back of the wagon, down into the spare tire storage, and filling every nook and cranny of the car's back half.

LOL. Did the car smell like Bacon in the summer?

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
dklawson said:
the open topped gallon containers of lard tipped over spilling their entire contents into the back of the wagon, down into the spare tire storage, and filling every nook and cranny of the car's back half.
That's great, it would be one effective way of rustproofing the rear end of a TR to augment the built in rustproofing of the front half (ie leaking engine fluids)