• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

how to have music/radio when driving

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The thing that was hard for me to adapt to is the fact that one really has to wear them all the time (not intermittently like I did - for the symphony and such). Then, a full adaptation happens. With the new set I guess I'll be wearing them all the time.

One big disappointment, for me anyway, is/was that hearing aids really don't help in a noisey environment... which has been a problem for me for a long time.

My friends tell me the same thing. The directional models help somewhat if you direct them to the sounds you want to hear, but still not perfect. We all probably did terrible things for our hearing when we were young and hearing protection wasn't a thing. My Dad was locked up in the engine testing rooms at Pratt & Whitney during WWII. Needless to say, his hearing was none too stellar.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yes, directionality does help... some... but not in a seriously noisy place.
I'm just glad they have these new digital ones that can be precisely tuned to one's specific hearing loss.

Hey, on the positive side, I don't need high-end speakers anymore (or ones with tweeters). :wink-new:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yes, directionality does help... some... but not in a seriously noisy place.
I'm just glad they have these new digital ones that can be precisely tuned to one's specific hearing loss.

Hey, on the positive side, I don't need high-end speakers anymore (or ones with tweeters). :wink-new:

Remember those days we used to review the latest performance mods to our Spridgets? Now it's hearing aids! Sad. OTOH, getting to play with all those loud exhausts, guns, and rock concerts was probably totally worth it.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Ch ch ch changes...

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I’m driven more by my granddaughters talking to me and I don’t know it or understand what they say and you only get one shot. Both my wife and I had hearing tests and evaluations and the mid grade aids were $4000+ with a 3 month trial period for $300. My biggest challenge is carrying on a conversation in a restaurant or with a group of people and I have to watch their lips to understand.
As y’all mentioned, we had a very good time with guns, loud cars, motorcycles, concerts, etc. and I wouldn’t change a thing. The worst abuse of my hearing had to be blowing up beaver dams with dynamite and some recreational fun shooting it with rifles. Back in the day I could stop by a coal mine and buy a couple of cases...they look at you funny when you open the hatch of your RX7 to load it up.
Rut

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I’m driven more by my granddaughters talking to me and I don’t know it or understand what they say and you only get one shot. Both my wife and I had hearing tests and evaluations and the mid grade aids were $4000+ with a 3 month trial period for $300. My biggest challenge is carrying on a conversation in a restaurant or with a group of people and I have to watch their lips to understand.
As y’all mentioned, we had a very good time with guns, loud cars, motorcycles, concerts, etc. and I wouldn’t change a thing. The worst abuse of my hearing had to be blowing up beaver dams with dynamite and some recreational fun shooting it with rifles. Back in the day I could stop by a coal mine and buy a couple of cases...they look at you funny when you open the hatch of your RX7 to load it up.
Rut

My wife and I are on a bit of protest to complain and register reviews of restaurants that are loud. You'd think with the rise of the Boomers, we'd have some influence on these venues. It really doesn't cost that much to add some acoustic ceiling panels (hanging at differing angles) to significantly improve a room - and not requiring an acoustical engineer to design.

As for loud noises, I remember, as a kid, hitting an entire roll of caps with a hammer... with ringing in the ears for some time after it.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oddly enough, I'm getting bluetooth hearing aids in about a week... under 40, occupational hazards I guess. Plan to use them when driving the Sprite, before that, I have a hidden radio in the Sprite with several speakers. Worthless. Cant hear a thing, even at full volume. Since a ton of ear phones also have a mic for hands free talking, I doubt a cop would be able to prove you weren't on the phone hands free talking. I usually have one out anyways.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Have $200 disposable to try something new? Sunglasses with blue-tooth hearing!
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/frames/bose-frames-alto.html
They can't pull you over for these.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And here's the Oticon add-on (don't know what it costs).
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.oticon.com/support/wireless-listening/listen-to-music [/FONT]

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not quite what I expected when starting this thread, but (1) an interesting comment on the 'maturity' of most of the folks driving LBCs and (2) dang useful in learning and understanding stuff that is a lot more important than spark plug gaps. Doug

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just watched a youtube of Jay Leno's garage, dealing with his 1955 Mercedes Benz 300 SL Gullwing coupe (a vehicle I lusted after for eons). He commented that Mercedes did not equip them with radios. So I guess if intake and exhaust notes are good enough for a Gullwing...

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Just watched a youtube of Jay Leno's garage, dealing with his 1955 Mercedes Benz 300 SL Gullwing coupe (a vehicle I lusted after for eons). He commented that Mercedes did not equip them with radios. So I guess if intake and exhaust notes are good enough for a Gullwing...

Mercedes figured out how to put radios in their sports cars by the time they got to the 280SL. I picked up a Becker Europa II Stereo that came from a 280SL a number of years ago for $20 at a flea market. It has its own attached amplifier and actually puts out enough power to be heard at cruising speeds in my Healey. Turned out it was a great deal as these radios go for almost $1,000.

IMG_0241.JPG

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
One of the P.O.'s of my Sprite installed a pair of 8 inch 2-way speakers into the board between the trunk and the passenger compartment. That usually works. I have an older Clarion AM/FM Cassette, but the cassette has been out of action forever. FM works usually, but I do get interference from time to time from the turn signals, which were converted to LED.

Ultimately, unless you want to spend big bucks for multiple speakers and a power amp, once you get past 50 - 55 mph, trying to hear music is generally a lost cause

nomad

Yoda
Vote for Elizabeth and Bernie because they are going after the hearing aid people. If you can get a radio shipped to your door for $15 how can a set of hearing aids cost $6000?

Huh?

Kurt