• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to check Dwell on a MK I 3000?

Swiss Toni

Country flag
Just checking things before replacing the points and condenser and thought I'd check the Dwell.

The manual says 35 degrees +\- 3 deg.

At idle (925, it's a bit high but it likes it there with the cam and Webers) I have 40 deg and when rev it up say to between 1500 and 2300 the dwell drops to 34 to 32 and back to 40 to 41 when it settles back down to idle.

Any thoughts?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
AS Long as the dwell is steady at Idle you are probably OK

OP
S

Swiss Toni

Country flag
Thanks Keoke, I think I'm going to owe you a beer or two if you're ever in town for all the gems of info:very_drunk:

The figure of 40° is rock stead at idle, it only changes when the RPM changes.

I've read else where that you should check the dwell at 2000 to 2500. What difference does it make and why does the dwell change with RPM anyway?

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't think dwell should change with RPM. A substantial change (more than a few degrees) probably indicates a problem with your distributor. I'm not sure what that problem would be, though.

I suppose it could also indicate a problem with your dwell meter...

OP
S

Swiss Toni

Country flag
I did read somewhere a change in dwell could indicate a worn disrtibutor but I just don't know if that's the case.

The dwell meter is incorporated in a brand new all sing and dancing digital Snap On timing light, coil energy meter, dwell meter etc, etc so very unlikely its that.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I did read somewhere a change in dwell could indicate a worn disrtibutor but I just don't know if that's the case.

YES:

Variations in dwell can indicate a worn dizzy shaft. But this would occur at Idle too

However, you might back it down to 35

Note:
Point gap and dwell are inversely proportional.

Last edited:

johnea

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Variations in dwell indicates a problem with the distributor. Could be a worn shaft or a worn or loose breaker plate.

OP
S

Swiss Toni

Country flag
Perhaps I'll put a overhauled distributor on the to do / parts list.

That said I just replaced the points and condenser and have the dwell spot on at 35 deg at idle and the max advance at 35 deg as well and she's running crisper and clearer and the seat of the pants Dino says a few more ponies may have been found.

I could probably put a bit more advance in as I'm running Vpower but if I put in 98 or go to high altitude there won't be any margin.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm sure that someone will correct me but I am of the impression that dwell has nothing to do with WHEN the ignition fires in relation to TDC (which is "advance") but rather with the DURATION of the firing, as determined by points gap or the equivalent for solid state, plus the condition of the distributor itself.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Dwell moves with timing set and idle. That is why you set dwell at specific rpm and timing degree.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I guess it is a matter of terminology but when I saw people referring to 35 degrees of dwell I assumed they were referring to advance. I have never used a dwell meter and still set points the old fashioned way with a feeler gauge, etc.

johnea

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Michael, Dwell is the time the contacts are closed. For our six cylinders that is 35 degrees and this is the time needed to charge the coil. As soon as the contacts open the magnetic field in the coil collapses and generates the high voltage needed to ignite the mixture. It has nothing to do with the duration of the firing.

Country flag
I'm sure that someone will correct me but I am of the impression that dwell has nothing to do with WHEN the ignition fires in relation to TDC (which is "advance") but rather with the DURATION of the firing, as determined by points gap or the equivalent for solid state, plus the condition of the distributor itself.

Dwell determines the amount of time that current is allowed to flow through the primary windings in the coil. Too little time and the electromagnetic field induced in the secondary winding will be weaker, resulting in a weaker spark; too much time and the coil will eventually overheat. Spark is caused by the induced field collapsing when the points open, pushing current through the secondary wires and resulting in spark at the plug. Pretty sure--but not positive--that the duration of the spark event will be the same no matter, but of course if dwell is too short there may be no spark at all, which can happen at very high revs. This is the advantage of electronic ignitions; the dwell--in time--remains constant (although dwell is measured in degrees of cam rotation, it's really a measure of time).

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Ultimately you'll wind up setting the points with a feeler gauge then checking it on a dwell meter (if desired).
Index marks can be helpful helpful between the distributor base plate and the block - for removing the distributor and gapping the points on the bench.
DistIndex.JPG

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Looks like I should have heeded Abraham Lincoln's advice: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

OP
S

Swiss Toni

Country flag
Just for reference, I very carefully set the the points gap to 0.015", which is mid way of the spec and due to skill (highly likely luck was more significant) the dwell at idle as 35 deg.

Country flag
My dad told me some makes--he mentioned GM--had a means to adjust the dwell from outside the distributor while the engine is running (of course, modern electronic ignitions control it with computers).

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The best way to set the advance is the old fashioned way. Advance until you get pinking then back it off by degrees until you don't. That way the advance is set to the particularities of your own car and not to a shop manual.

OP
S

Swiss Toni

Country flag
That's the next step, though previous with 35 degrees it started to detonate a bit under heavy load if I put 95 in it, especially at altitude.