• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How much for oil change?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I’m in Boston visiting my son. He asked me to take his car for an oil change. His new car only takes 3.7 quarts of oil.
Filter + oil change cost….. wait for it ….
$103 :scared::scared:

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
What is the make model and engine?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Requires full synthetic for sure, probably an "exotic" viscosity like 0W5. $18 a quart, plus filter, plus labor... and don't forget the insane amounts of insurance they have to carry.

Gone are the days of the $9.99 $19.95 $29.95 oil change.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Requires full synthetic for sure, probably an "exotic" viscosity like 0W5. $18 a quart, plus filter, plus labor... and don't forget the insane amounts of insurance they have to carry.

Gone are the days of the $9.99 $19.95 $29.95 oil change.
Good ole 0-20. Nothing special

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It usually costs me about $80 to get the 4 qt oil+filter change on my little Mazda (also using 0-20 full syn); over $100 at JiffyLube but there are a couple more reasonable places. On my big suburban I do it myself because its easy (plus its a 7qt change; 1 in the filter and 6 in the sump). The Mazda is hard to get under and since I don't even have a paved driveway I don't feel all that safe trying to get under it when its on ramps or stands. The suburban I can get under with all 4 wheels on the ground. It also helps to go to the same place every time because they sometimes offer discounts for frequent customers (and I do a lot of miles so even at 5000 between changes on the full synthetic I'm in there often).

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
just wondering ... what else did they do beside oil change? check brakes, lights, safety inspection, etc.? Work done at a Honda dealer?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
just wondering ... what else did they do beside oil change? check brakes, lights, safety inspection, etc.? Work done at a Honda dealer?
Added some washer fluid, checked tire pressure and battery.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Screwed him, that's what else.
Not anymore. I don't (didn't :rolleyes: ) get a lot of change back from $100 for an oil change on Mrs JP's mini - synthetic oil - and this at an independant shop whome I have patronized for years and trust completely - and who give err - a holy discount. :ROFLMAO:

OTOH

McLaren puts the cost of an oil change alone at $8,000.

Aston Martin DB9 An oil change will cost you only about $400,

Porsche Carrera GT A typical oil change costs $3,000

and so on

BTW as mentioned elsewhere, we were recently in Newport RI and had to get new wipers for the rental (also mentioned elswhere) I was at a Monroe MUffler shop and their posted shop rate was $125 per hour. (I think I am paying about $100)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
and don't forget the insane amounts of insurance they have to carry.

Along with all the government mandated environmental regulations that require specialized equipment to meet. It all became an insurmountable burden for us. We were paying to work!

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not anymore. I don't (didn't :rolleyes: ) get a lot of change back from $100 for an oil change on Mrs JP's mini - synthetic oil - and this at an independant shop whome I have patronized for years and trust completely - and who give err - a holy discount. :ROFLMAO:

OTOH

McLaren puts the cost of an oil change alone at $8,000.

Aston Martin DB9 An oil change will cost you only about $400,

Porsche Carrera GT A typical oil change costs $3,000

and so on

BTW as mentioned elsewhere, we were recently in Newport RI and had to get new wipers for the rental (also mentioned elswhere) I was at a Monroe MUffler shop and their posted shop rate was $125 per hour. (I think I am paying about $100)
I found a discount place to change the oil in a McLaren

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I’m in Boston visiting my son. He asked me to take his car for an oil change. His new car only takes 3.7 quarts of oil.
Filter + oil change cost….. wait for it ….
$103 :scared::scared:
I have all the tools, jack, stands, drain pan but I just don't want to do it.
Paid $70 to get my Subaru done 2 years ago and didn't mind too much.
But I have to check their work afterwards.
They wouldn't change the air filter......too much work.
I eventually checked it and deemed it OK.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Many (most?) of the supercars have dry sumps with MANY points for drainage (over a dozen).
Here's a Lambo oil change:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Once had a young guy come into our shop (mid '80's) in a recently acquired Ferrari 308 complaining of "noise" coming from the back of the car. On inspecting things, found the oil level WAY too high and the transmission level didn't register on the stick at all... called him and asked where the car had last been serviced, he'd taken it to a Quick-Rip oil change place instead of us. Whoever got the car for the work had drained the case marked "Olio Trasmissione" and pumped six more quarts of oil into the engine. Result was a rebuild of gearbox/diff unit. Car was sold soon after.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Been there done that one. In the 80s it was common. We did two 308s with the same issue. Never did find out if the same place did the damage.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A friend of mine who was a MB tech told me about a guy who brought his
Mercedes in for service.My friend asked him when the oil was last changed.He
replied "I paid $25,000 (or some high amount at the time) for it,so why would I
pay more to have the oil changed?".