• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How Far?

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
What was the furthest you every drove your LBC?
(Any Troubles?)

I once drove my 73' GT6 from New Haven, Ct to Virgina Beach,Va.
Kinda cool driving through the Chesapeak Bay Bridge Tunnel... (No probs at all, but when I got home I had to replace the voltage regulator, other than that, it was a beautiful thang!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
im sure theres some brave souls out there that went cross country.....

Musicman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Back in 1973 I drove my '71 TR6 from NY to CA, stayed in LA for about 2 months, and then drove back to NY. About 6,000 miles in all. Ahhh.. youth.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
There have been some proposed changes in the speed laws in TX and LA raising the limits to 85 in some places. I think I would avoid those area /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif My most pleasurable trip was from Atlanta to Gatlinburg, TN and that included the beautiful drive between Cherokee and Gatlinburg where the road has double backs and short tunnels through the mountains. That drive is one of the best around in that area.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I've mentioned it before but will briefly repeat. I bought my current '62 Herald 1200 sedan "driver" in late June 2002. A couple weeks later, I drove from Albany, NY, to Minnesota and back (VTR National Convention), a round trip of approximately 2550 miles. I'd drive the car nearly anywhere if I had the time.

I've a friend who restored a Triumph 10 sedan and has taken several very long trips to VTR meets. He's based in Minnesota and has driven the car to places like Breckenridge, CO, and Portland, OR.

And I'm sure Don will be along shortly to remind everyone that one-owner TR3s are also still capable of long trips! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I’ve run 4 hours in a night enduro at Summit Point raceway, but it felt more like about 4 days.
We had Vipers, Corvettes, Mustangs and about a dozen Miatas in the same event. Nothing like going 6000 RPM in fourth gear and having a Viper pass you going 80 MPH faster!

The longest run on a street Spridget was from southern New Jersey to Watkins Glen and back in one day...about 12 hours. I can't imagine going cross-country.
I *did* drive a 1.4 Renault to the UP of Michigan and back about 20 years ago (I think about 2000 miles in all).
sprite-headlites.jpg

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Not very far in my TR3 but in my youth, drove LBC's all over the place. I will rarely drive this one more than 50-60 miles, however, even when I have the few remaining mechanical issues resolved.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
About 6,000 miles in all. Ahhh.. youth.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a lot of consecutive miles, did you have any troubles with the car during or after the ride?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Love the pix!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Back and forth from RI to Monroe, CT to have John at Quantum Mechanics install the Overdrive, which made the return run one heck of a lot better. About 300 miles RT. Last Septembers's Lobster Run into Maine with Triumph Club was about 300 also, but a lot more fun!

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
John's got my 71' Tr6 right now in his shop for a 5 speed conversion...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
When I bought my TR-250 last August, the drive home was 200 miles. The day before was perfect, as was the day after. The day of the big drive, however, it poured every single mile. Car behaved flawlessly.

In 1990, my father and I took a 1952 MG-TD to the UK with the New England "T" register's Circuit of Britain. About 100 cars started in Liverpool/Chester and circled the Britain over the course of a month. Aside from one blown rod and one accident (involving one of the J-series cars on the trip -- yikes), the cars all made it with no problems. It was an unusually dry summer in the UK. We had perhaps two days of rain the entire time. I'd guess it was about 2100 miles in three and a half weeks.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I bought my TR6 last year. My brother and I flew to Seattle picked up the car and drove 3330 miles back to Alabama. I installed a new rotor in the distributor on the second morning of the trip, it cracked the next morning. I replaced it with the original rotor and finished the trip. We drove on the original tires. The car had 14,166 original miles when we started. There may have been something wrong with the radio, we couldn't pick up anything but country and religious stations in Texas and Oklahoma?

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
There may have been something wrong with the radio, we couldn't pick up anything but country and religious stations in Texas and Oklahoma?

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing wrong with the radio, ((Something wrong with Texas and Okee)) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

tomshobby

Yoda
I just purdhased my TR6 late last fall and it needed some work before it was fit for the road. The longest trip in this car has been 300 miles.

In 1965 my TR4 made a few trips from Ft Knox to Madison, WI.
One of those trips had myself driving and three passengers. Two of them wanted to go home so bad that they rode on the little shelf behind the seats. I was just crusing and south of Indianapolis we passed a chevy. He did not seem to like that very well and so he came up and roared by. About a half mile later he pulled over with smoke rolling out from under his car. When we sent by him we honked the horn and gave him our warmest greetings. It was early April and it went well at the start but as we got farther north the guys in back started getting colder. Finally in northern Indianna we put the top up. With the top up it was cozy inside to say the least.
That trip took 6 1/2 hours from Ft Knox to Madison, WI.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
One of those trips had myself driving and three passengers.

[/ QUOTE ]

what was your average highway speed? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I drove the TR3 about 175 miles round trip From Beacon Falls over the Newburgh Bridge to Windsor New York and back just to prove to my brother in law that the car was drivable. The car runs great but the operator gets a little stiff in the back. I look at it this way if the car can do ten miles why not a hundred. I've put about 8,000 miles on the car since it's been driveable again all in little runs to the grocery store, Home Depot, Blockbuster, etc. and if it does that then I believe it will go anywhere.
Now rusting away after an unexpected thunderstorm is another story...

Harry

tomshobby

Yoda
Hi Kodanja, I have no idea, I do remember rarely being under 75. You see, I did not know any other LBC owners and did not know they were prone to problems. I always drove mine fast. Always thought my LBC preferred it that way, still do. Had my TR6 in triple numbers on the interstate the other day. Some guys fooling with me and it just seemed the thing to do. BTW, they found they were not having as much fun as they thought.