• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How early is my 100/6

• Thread starter Deleted member 19315
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19315

While my car is off being re-painted ( in original back) I was digging through my history for it. The Heritage Cert confirms what I gleaned at purchase. Its an October 56 build. Chassis number bn4-s/29452 . It was dispatched in May 57 according to the club record, this seems a long time after the build date.the batch number is quoted from the club record as 3052 So how early a Longbridge car does that make it relatively ? Its nice to note it still has its original number stamped on the body 276 which appears on the bonnet latch plate and all the cockpit trim. This number is not on the Heritage Cert though which states not recorded for it. The key number is still correct for all the locks too. The engine number matches the chassis but this cannot be original as its got a later 3000 engine from Bill Rawles in it.

Andy

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The first BN4 was (according to Clausager), 22598 in May 1956. Series production started in August 1956.

Question: I met the original owner of an early BN4 in Bend, Oregon in 2014. His hood (bonnet) didn't have the ridge in it. He said the very early BN4s didn't have the ridge. Mine does (Feb 1957), does yours?

OP
D

Deleted member 19315

Hi John, my car had a non ridged bonnet, when I got it with a later bonnet grille. I bought a ridged bonnet and a year correct grille in belief this would have been as original. Too late to change back now if I was wrong in my research as the "wrong" bonnet is now sold.....However I'm pretty certain ridged is right.

Andy

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It is correct that the 100 Six original bonnets (hoods) did not have the ridge. They also had the prop rod on the left side, and did not have any internal bracking. The ridge was added to stiffen the bonnet, and the prop rod was moved to the right side.
After the addition of internal bracking, the ridge was elimnated.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
While my car is off being re-painted ( in original back) I was digging through my history for it. The Heritage Cert confirms what I gleaned at purchase. Its an October 56 build. Chassis number bn4-s/29452 . It was dispatched in May 57 according to the club record, this seems a long time after the build date
Andy

Healeys could linger around the factory for a surprisingly long time before being dispatched. Maybe something failed in the test process that wasn't immediately available -- probably no way to determine that now. I have data for many BJ8s that stayed at the factory for months before being shipped -- one of them completed the build process in October 1966 and didn't get shipped until February 1968 (sic).

OP
D

Deleted member 19315

Haa...,thats brilliant. the non ridged hood had a left hand prop....but a full set of internal bracing.Nothing is certain.....never mind I like the ridge.

OP
D

Deleted member 19315

Thank you yes I've been using that resource. My cars isn't totally original and I don't want it to be beyond a certain level. I've always enjoyed modified cars but kind of period modified if you know what I mean. Primer went on today.......