• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 How do you mount a hardtop on a TR6

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
I am getting close to owning a hardtop for my TR6. I am at the point of learning how the top attaches to the car. What hardware is required to be incorporated in/on the top and what additional hardware, if any, is required to be on the car? I guess there are basically three types of tops: 1) Factory metal type; 2.) Aftermarket plastic (fiberglass?) types and 3.) The targa or surrie types.

I am specifically interested in 1 and 2 above but for general enlightenment it would be good to understand the differences of the attachment for the three. Finally, does the installation any of the three types require the convertible top to be removed?

G

vettedog72 said:
. Finally, does the installation any of the three types require the convertible top to be removed?

I don't know about the mounting procedures of the different tops but I do remember seeing those two (2) loaded, untitled TR6s in the showroom of Paretti Imports in Metairie, LA. in the late '90s. Both had factory hardtops and both had the soft tops installed and folded back. (They are now in storage somewhere in one of Paretti's garages in Baton Rouge.)

Pity.

G

A recent study found that adding a "Snugtop" brand hardtop to a TR6 decreased the value of the car by 73.5%. If you look at one with the fiberglass hardtop attached, you'll see why. The one with the port hole side window decreased the value by 123.7% and you actually have to pay someone to buy your car. Weird huh? Unless your TR6 looks like the one listed on Ebay right now from Alaska, go with the steel factory hardtop. All the important mounting hardware is probably no longer available, but who cares, a TR6 with a factory hardtop to me is the best looking British sports car ever designed. In 1984 I had a BRG TR6 with soft top and factory hardtop and the soft top was always inside the car still attached and stowed.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
The rag top can be left on the car with the factory hardtop installed. There was at one time a special cover that fit over the soft top and attached to the inside of the hardtop. Personally, I like the extra room one gets by removing the soft top.

Mounting hardware and diagram of how it fits can be viewed on the TRF link following.

https://www.zeni.net/trf/TR6-250GC/index.php?menu=H&page=256

Gordo

Jedi Hopeful
I have a factory hardtop that I'm in the process of refinishing. Mine lost the bows so I had to get creative. They didn't turn out perfect, but close.
I was able to obtain all the seals for the windows, all the special and not so special hardware from TRF to mount the top and a couple chrome pieces. I'm waiting on fuzzy seals for the window openings and the rubber gasket between the windshield and the hardtop. The first seal I got from TRF was 1 inch short on each end and would not work. Trying to source it from other vendors now.

Be very certain you use the correct length hardware on the windshield to top connection. The Pedro used the wrong length bolts and you will end up with 2 bumps pushing out of the top when tightening down the top. I prefitted mine before the restore to ensure I wouldn't recreate the bumps.

TRF has a copy I believe of the installation procedures. I forgot to order it last time.

I have read that you can really cinch the top down tight to get a snug fit. That really isn't a good idea. There are 2 bumpers in the rear that if brought down too tight will leave round marks in the paint when top is removed. I played around for about an hour to get fit that I liked.

Gordo

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Stirkle
I wish you could load up that empty trailer coming from Boston to Atlanta with those crummy tops. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Give the driver the money that people are paying to get rid of them and I will give you a check (a small one) for the tops when they arrive. You know, the hicks in the south just don't know how bad they look or maybe they just don't remember. Besides, they may take it for some kind of retro '57 Thunder Bird from Alaska when it is installed on the car. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

On a serious side, how did your more desired (no debate by me) factory top attach in the back? I know there are "J" hooks but what did they attach to and did you have to install the piece that stayed on the car or was it all ready there? I presume the from mounted like the convertable top, right?

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Did you ever remove the hardtop to use the convertible top? Gees, the diagram looks as complicated as a TR6 exhaust system. Do you have to drill holes all the way through the front windshield surround for the hardtop bolts to go through or does it latch down like the convertible?

Gordo

Jedi Hopeful
When I was fitting mine, there were 2 rubber plugs in the top stainless/chrome strip on the windshield. Removed them and looked in hole. I don't know if that is stock or not. I took a drill bit, 3/8 or 7/16, and hand twisted the bit through the vinyl. You should be able to feel the hole through the vinyl on the bottom with your finger and cut it with an exacto knife if you don't have bits that large. I did not have to drill through any metal.

Gordo

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Now I finally know what those plugs are for!! Thank you!

Obviously I don't have a hardtop.

G

There are metal bolt sleeves that go inside the holes so you don't collapse the windshield frame or pull the body panel up in the rear when tightening the bolts. When you tighten the front bolts you can easily over tighten and strip the seat for the nuts inside the factory hardtop and you will not be able to unbolt the hardtop. I read where a guy used threaded rod to install in the hardtop itself to leave in there. He then feeds the threaded rod down from the top thus never having to worry weather the bolts will get stuck in the hard top. I thought it was a good idea. Remember to save the rubber plugs to put back in when you are going to be using the soft top again.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
bobh said:
If someone knows how to attach a PDF to a post I can supply the factory instruction sheet.
If you click on the "reply" or "quote" icons at the bottom of the post, the new window that opens will have a pane near the bottom titled "Post Options". Just to the right of the "Post Options" legend, is a link for "File Manager". Click on that to attach a file (any file including PDF). In the "File Manager" window, first click the browse button to find the file you want to attach, then be sure to click the "Add file" button (otherwise you'll have to start over).

There probably is a size limit for the attached file, but I don't know what it is offhand.

Webb

Does anyone actually manufacture new hardtops of the original design? I have a fiberglass one I throw on in the winter, and it works pretty well, but looks bad compared to the originals.