• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How do you know if NOS parts are compatible?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I admit I enjoy looking for NOS for my bugeye. I was thinking of trying to locate parts for a transmission rebuild. My question is is there a list of actual part numbers so that I know they are compatible for my car?
Kevin

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No

StarkM

Freshman Member
I can upload a photo or two of the 1098-1275 2nd gear (oem # 22G1120) if that would help.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Matt
That would be great-
you are one of the few folks who have access to a new one that is not in a trans already!
BillM

Spridget64SC

Jedi Trainee
There is a 22G2XX series of gearbox components that match up with the 22G11XX series. The .xls spreadsheet on the BCF doesn't list all of them, but does give a clue to their existence. Input shaft 22G229 is the clue. This is the input shaft part number from that series. Part 22G1117 is the actual input shaft number in the 22G11XX series. Don't see many of these out there, but they do exist. FWIW, here is a list of the usual suspect gears & part numbers that cross. This is from memory here at work, my list is at home, but I'll do my best.

22G229=22G1117 Input gear
22G240=22G1114 Reverse gear
22G232=22G1100 Laygear
22G239=22G1118 1/2/R Slide gear
22G236=22G1121 3rd gear
22G234=22G1120 2nd gear
22G95 Early 3/4 Slide Gear
22G410 Later 3/4 Slide Gear (fully interchangeable with the 22G95)

These apply to the ribcase gear boxes. If you are looking at smoothcase gear boxes, then there are some Morris Minor gear that can interchange, but these are very rare and depending upon which ones they are, may have co-dependencies. That is, to use the input gear, you have to use a certain laygear as well, but 1st, 2nd and 3rd will work with the different laygear.

HTH,
Mike Miller

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
It is confusing to try and locat parts by part number. I have seen three identical shafts, all with different part numbers. My bugeye was made in August of 1959, although it is called a 1960 bugeye. The second gear listed is just what I need. My transmission is fine for now, but I can tell the built in syncro has some wear. The Ebay ad says it is for a 61, 62 bugeye. How do I know if it will work with mine?
Kevin

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
What a bummer. I checked the number against the list Bill posted, and I think the ebay 2nd gear is for a Mk11. Thanks for the tip though. It seems like reproducing parts for the smooth case transmission would have a fairly large market. How come no one has put these into reproduction? I am not a machinest, but is it possible to find NOS and just cast new ones?
Kevin

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
If your commission number of you car is from 20330 then the second gear on EBay will fit you car, provided you know that your car has its original transmission. If this is an unknown, then it will have to disassemble and inspect the gear numbers for a proper match. The way I look at it you’re not ready to do anything unless you have all this information. So your options are drive it until it brakes or you can’t stand the issues and decide to pull the gear box and open it up and began your rebuild. Option number two, purchase a ribbed case, rebuild and install. And option number three purchase a 210 five speed or T-9 and a adaptor kit and have something that will perform like a modern day car.

Yes, someone could tool up spend several hundred thousand for this idea and reproduce gear set for the smooth case transmission, but for what reason? The smooth case transmission were the worst of all three generations of transmissions for Sprites and Midgets, The only people that would want a smooth case are the people showing their cars in concurs shows. Most of these people are taking the smooth cases and having the case alter to except the ribbed case gears so that they can have somthing that will work a whole lot better and still have the smooth case look.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
My commission number is 21339. I am confused - where does the commission number 20330 come from -is that the beginning of Mark 11? Bill's list shows the same parts for all Mark 1. The part on Ebay is listed under the Mark 11. Aren't all Bugeyes Mark 1? I think the transmission is original, but do the transmissions have a number on them to identify them further? If so, can you tell me where the number is located?

Kevin

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Commission numbers are generated by BMC because BMC was the manufacture. As the cars are produce and being assemble the numbers change consecutively. All of this is happing while the engineering department is making changes in the next models. When they have a prototype tested and it’s successful, when manufacturing of the gear boxes are starting to be produced quickly enough to meet with production with the cars is when management makes the decision after production XXXX that the newer gear box is to be installed.

Gear box number will be stamped on top of the gearbox casting.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I will try and get in there to look at the number. I will check my heritage certificate too when I get home to see if they listed the transmission number. Once I get the transmission number,and if it matches the heritage certificate, are you saying I should should be looking for parts off of the Mark 11 list? I am not ignoring advice on just getting a later model or different make transmission either. My wife wants her original restored and that is that. I don't get to drive the bugeye much - it is basically my job to keep things going. I am just trying to be prepared for the eventual transmission job.
Kevin

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Not what I say, but what BMC factory manual says. If your car is from commission number 20330 and it has the original gear box, then part number AEA3033 is the second gear that they say goes in that transmission. I really don’t look at MK1 or MKII regarding this issue. I look at what they say it’s supposed to be compared to what reality really is. Then make a decision base on the reality to correct the problem.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All Bugeyes are Mark I, however the Mark II is a bugeye with differnet metal on the front and rear. 1098 eng from 1963. All else is the same. Someone jump on me if I am wrong.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
They did change the gearbox (around the time of the MkII) to a closer ratio set of gears so they are not quite the same.
BillM