• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How do you know if it is concurs?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
This is sort of a continuation of my post on the correct gas line for my 60 Bugeye. I just got off the phone with Classic Tube, a company that makes prebent brake and gas lines. According to them, the two part gas line I have is stock. And yet there are a number of members who stated by concurs standards, it is a solid gas line. My frustration always is what was original? Is there a book for these cars on concurs standards? Any help would greatly be appreciated. I don't really want to spend more money if what I have is already stock.
Kevin

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I figured of all people you would know, Ray. I never expect to win any car shows, but I have tried very hard to do things as original as possible. It seems like it is just as expensive to do things wrong as it is to do them right. What is the name of the book by Horler you mentioned?Thanks,
Kevin

kalist

I just disassembled my 61 last year. It had original lines on it and it was solid steel from the tank to the engine. At some point someone modified it near the engine to install an electric fuel pump. I doubt if the rubber line on yours is stock. I give you a lot of credit for trying to stay original. It is difficult.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I should mention that I did catch the company I spoke about with the wrong pattern for their brake lines. They had one bad bend in one of their brake lines, and finally admitted it was incorrect after I showed them original pics from my manual. They said they corrected for this in their computer, so hopefully the next guy that buys from them will get it made correctly. They did redo the line that was made wrong correctly at no charge. I emailed to try and get the information Ray spoke about, so hopefully I will know once and for all what it looks like.
Kevin

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The name of the book is "Original Sprite & Midget" "The Restorer's Guide." It was written by Terry Horler and is ISBN 0-7603-1449-7. There was recently a thread on this group about it and I believe it is not easy to get now. I just looked at Amazon and they are selling it used for something like $80. The printed price on my copy is $24.95 US. Good luck.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Nelson said:
The name of the book is "Original Sprite & Midget" "The Restorer's Guide." It was written by Terry Horler and is ISBN 0-7603-1449-7. There was recently a thread on this group about it and I believe it is not easy to get now. I just looked at Amazon and they are selling it used for something like $80. The printed price on my copy is $24.95 US. Good luck.

And apparently you can preorder a reprint at a normal price.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
How and where can I get a reprint? I noticed when I ordered the Concours material today, they mentioned there are no pictures. Anyone know why? Do they have diagrams?
Kevin

60Bugeye

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
ichthos said:
How and where can I get a reprint? I noticed when I ordered the Concours material today, they mentioned there are no pictures. Anyone know why? Do they have diagrams?
Kevin

Horler book on Amazon UK. It says available June 1, but I received an email from the publisher directly stating early July.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Sprite-...5179&sr=8-1

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
ichthos said:
Kevin

Horler doesn't have the kind of pictures you are imagining. It is an illustrated book but the pictures are not that detailed. Better to post your questions here.

BTW concours for Spridgets is a little dicey, partly because there are some things that just changed during production but no one really knows when, but, mostly because the value of the cars is still low enough that a concours restoration is usually not worth it combined with the reality that appropriate modifications like a 1275 in a Bugeye doesn't typically affect the value of the car. Thus, unlike a Big Healey, where there is added value for a concours car, most Spridgets are personalized, and, very few people are interested in the extra time and money to make it perfect - I think we have two on the entire forum.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you are really into a concours build, a Mechanical Service Parts List and Body Service Parts List like these: https://cgi.ebay.com/Healey-Sprite-HAN5-M...=item29fe5c21eb are a great help. They illustrate each part, their part number and chassis change points. I've seen them on CD for big Healeys for very reasonable prices, but don't think I've seen them for Spridgets. I was lucky enough to have a long-time MG dealer allow me to photocopy theirs years ago. It's worth it's weight in gold.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Kevin
I have a copy of that "AKD3513" on disk-
Want a copy, I have your address.
BillM

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Talk to us about your needs for an orginal car. Even the concurs guide I have seen by the Healey club has an error or two.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I just found that when I bought "Morrisservice" that with it I got two copies of Horler's "Original Sprite & Midget", one hardcopy (1998 printing) and one softback (2003 printing).
Both are in excellent condition- I will sell the hardback for $50.00 and the softback for $40.00 (both include tax & shipping).
BillM

BugeyeNJ58

Jedi Hopeful
One of the virtues of a concours restoration is that it allows others to know what needs to be replaced to make the car reliable and safe!

I appreciate a concours example because it is like a time capsule; a car captured in a moment of time.
It helps us to appreciate some of the clever, and no so clever things that seemed like a good idea at the moment of origination.