• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

how do you guage the price of a restored car?

JonnyEye

Freshman Member
Hi everyone,

I'm looking forwards to my first MG and am scanning all the ads for a car to buy in San Francisco..

At the risk of upsetting all you enthusiasts, I'm not TOO fussed if all the parts are MG originals...I just love the way the cars look and I want a fun and reliable car to get me around...

So...here's my stupid question....

I have no idea how to guage the price of a car that's been fitted with lots of new, unoriginal parts. Like this one, for example:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/185137167.html

9k seems like a lot, comparative to other MGBs on ebay, craigslist etc...but how to judge?

Maybe it's an impossible question to answer but any guidance much appreciated...

Thanks

Jonathan

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hay wait, we have nothing against non orginial parts here, we all have em.

Some more than others but that is their choice for sure.

I think in the small bit I could see in those pics that looks like a good little car. It could set in my garage.

If your intention is a daily driver that looks fine from here. Coures here is the key word, go look, touch, and drive.

Perhaps someone from the forum is in your area, and may be willing to go take a look with you?

mark

pretty car!

mark

Peter_Rogers

Jedi Hopeful
If what they say thay have done is true ( And I would want to see receipts for the engine rebuild) then the price ain't bad. Probably cost that much to have the work done I mean I have been quote $1,000 to have a new clutch put in so it mounts up v quick - especially if you are paying for someones labor.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
not a bad price if it is a factual description.

There's a lot of talk about the paint job but no mention of rust or fixing rust. I'd be very concerned that they slapped a bunch of bondo over the rusty bits and then sprayed the paint. I'd want to get under the car and poke around and check the body very closely with a magnet to check for any signs of bondo. Perhaps if he could supply documentation of the body work and had pictures of the car while all the paint was stripped down to bare metal I'd feel a little better. That chip on the hood means they weren't fanatical about panel fit and gaps when they put it all together and I'm wondering what else they slapped together.

Another thing not mentioned is any suspension rebuild. For that price it better be super solid and track straight without any slop in the steering and handling.

Check it out very very carefully and if you can get a local member to give you a second opinion that would be very helpful.

OP
J

JonnyEye

Freshman Member
Hey,

Wow - this board is great...so fast!

So, any Bay Area members fancy a little trip to check this out? Dinner and beers on me so I can download all your advice too?!

Thanks

J

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It's worth 9 Gs if everything is true that the seller is saying. The engine is easy to check out. The body is where I would be most concerned. MGBs have hidden rust caves built in that are hard to find after they have been covered up with paint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif I would ask for photos taken during restoration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif PJ

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The car is off e-bay. Did you buy the car before someone else got to it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif PJ

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
I would make the trip. I hae to deliver an Izusu to Terra Linda. I have a line on a GT in Lakeport. Going to see it this weekend if I can get the time.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
just got the list - I'm catching up so will be back with you on it in a bit.