• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT How Do I get the Glove Box Opened?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I can get the key in it,bit the key won't turn.
Not sure if something's jamming the latch.
How can I get it opened again? ( '67 MGB GT)

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't have my car nearby to check... if the lock is really stuck, can you remove the glove box from the back of the dash? Can't remember how this one attaches

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In a '67, the lock is a five-pin tumbler, a bit of fiddling with a locksmithing 'spoon' and pick can work, or just call a locksmith and "bite the bullet". Sounds as if the Ignition tumbler was replaced sometime in the car's life (different key). ISTR originally one key worked all the locks.

As an aside, there was a spare key screwed to the ID plate of the cars from the factory, up to the dealer to remove it and most didn't bother. But after fifty-four years or so it'd be pure luck if that were still there...

The screws attaching the inside "box" are screwed in from the inside. It's "fibreboard" and any replacement I've ever tried is a poor fit, so don't do anything to mangle the original.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
……The screws attaching the inside "box" are screwed in from the inside. It's "fibreboard" and any replacement I've ever tried is a poor fit, so don't do anything to mangle the original.
When I did the restoration on my 6 I was lucky enough to locate the key that fit amongst a bunch of spare ones.
After getting it open I removed the fiberboard box and painted it with por15. The epoxy paint sealed it from absorbing moisture and made it rock hard. Just a suggestion.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If it worked before it can only really be one of two things

1. Pins/ key - in which case lube plus gently wiggling might find you the sweet spot

2. something is jammed inside - in which case pushing the lid to take off pressure while jiggling the key might work.

good luck!

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's the right key - worked in the past.
No key on the firewall,or anywhere in the
engine compartment.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ah. Get a spray can of CRC 2-26 from Home Depot (in their "electrical" section) and spritz some into the tumbler with the "straw," then "fiddle and fuss" the key in-and-out, wiggle (gentley!) back-and-forth. The 2-26 is the least obnoxious lube to spray in the tumbler, other stuff like WD-40 or PB are smelly or leave a residue in the pin slots. Good luck!

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'll try messing (& lubricating) the lock.

- Thanks!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"No" to the graphite. The CRC is the least residue, most effective lube in a lockset.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I tried,but still can't get the key to turn.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I once locked my mail truck keys in the back. Called for a spare, but I wiggled the door lock with one of my own keys, got it open and continued on my route. No one came with the spare and the bosses did not ask how I got in. So, AngliaGT use similar keys, and don't give up. Rest on it, try it and rest on it.

HelenBr

Freshman Member
Country flag
Once you locked your key you have several ways to open the door, only if this is your car. You can find some decent methods on Youtube or Google, but, the best option you can do is locksmith hornsey, yes! it will cost you money but you will save tons of time and you won't make things worse. I know what I am talking about, I've bought several cars with no keys(Scrapeyard) and I had to open them on my own, honestly paying a locksmith everytime I had to open a car would make me a bankrupt so I had to do this several times on my own, but everytime I had to open a car on my own, it made me regret I did not called a locksmith. Those guys knows what they are doing and how to open a lock

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Can you take a small wire and put it in with the key. If the backside of the key is flat a real small wire pushed in with the flat side fan sometimes raise the key enough to push the pins. As the key wear is always the pin side.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Can you take a small wire and put it in with the key. If the backside of the key is flat a real small wire pushed in with the flat side fan sometimes raise the key enough to push the pins. As the key wear is always the pin side.

Entirely possible. But still, it's a five pin tumbler... a "spoon" and a pick can, with patience hit all five. Unless something tangled in the pawl BEHIND the lock is binding it.

ElliotM

Freshman Member
Country flag
Once you locked your key you have several ways to open the door, only if this is your car. You can find some decent methods on Youtube or Google, but, the best option you can do is locksmith hornsey, yes! it will cost you money but you will save tons of time and you won't make things worse. I know what I am talking about, I've bought several cars with no keys(Scrapeyard) and I had to open them on my own, honestly paying a locksmith everytime I had to open a car would make me a bankrupt so I had to do this several times on my own, but everytime I had to open a car on my own, it made me regret I did not called a locksmith. Those guys knows what they are doing and how to open a lock
I've heard a lot about locksmith hornsey. Also I've found some good reviews on google and I might call them as I need to open my car too. My wife lost the keys and those were the 2nd key, the 1st one was lot some time ago. Regarding your projects, it would be nice to see some pictures, I think you might have some