• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A How do I determine the cause of a steering problem?

Dick Burk

Freshman Member
Country flag
Am working on a restored '59 TR3A (Commission No. TS 43778 OLO). It is difficult to turn the wheel, e.g., turning it into the garage. On the road, it's not bad. A little loose, but reasonable. I was told that the problem is common and I could replace the worm screw system with a rack and pinion (Moss kit $700, when available). I'm also told it might be something less serious. Are there any techniques for identifying and assessing the problem?
Thanks in advance.
Dick

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There are lots of possible problems, but IMO the most common is wear in the steering box combined with improper adjustment. My old 3A was exactly as you describe, and everyone told me "They're all like that, convert to R&P"; until I finally bit the bullet and rebuilt the steering box myself. The result was nothing short of amazing! I did make some other changes at the same time, the rebuild was part of a complete overhaul of the steering and front suspension, plus I swapped the original Silentbloc bushings for some free-turning all metal joints and filled the box with full synthetic GL-5 gear oil. But I believe that rebuilding the box was the major source of improvement.

The worm in the box was noticeably worn, but not available new at the time (they are available now I believe), so I had to live with the old one. The main thing, I believe, was replacing the bushing in the bottom of the unit. Wear in that bushing allows the rocker shaft to tilt in the fore-aft direction when steering force is applied, which in turn causes the peg to tilt and bind in the groove in the cam.

But careful adjustment is important, too. I tried several methods of setting the end float, the only one I found acceptable was to measure the end float with a dial indicator. (This shot is of the solid column from my current TR3, but the same setup worked for the split column 3A)

I avoided doing this for many years, as it seemed like a lot of work and I wasn't convinced it would make that much difference. Countless people had told me "They're all like that". But the difference was like night and day, my overall impression was "Why didn't I do this sooner?!"

FWIW, on the current TR3, I still had heavy steering after rebuilding the box. What I eventually discovered there was that I hadn't gotten the new peg pressed into the arm just right, and it had worked loose. Since I had a good used arm on hand, I replaced the arm & peg, which solved the problem.

Also FWIW, on the split column car, I was able to get the steering box out (and back in) without removing the front apron. In retrospect, I'm not sure it was any less work than pulling the apron, but it did mean less risk to the paint and trim beads. I had to take the engine loose from it's mounts and jack it up on one side to get room to maneuver the column out of the mount to the spring tower. Not sure offhand, but ISTR I removed the crosstube as well. And the horn of course. Lots of work with long extensions and swivel sockets with magnetic inserts.

PS, I should mention that IMO the box adjustments are only to compensate for manufacturing tolerances. They cannot compensate for wear without causing other symptoms, like heavy steering and even faster wear. The worm in the 3A looked terrible, with lots of damage to the groove, which I believe was caused at least partially by my misadventures in trying to adjust "for wear". So my advice is to set the box once, on the bench with proper tools and methods, and then LEAVE THAT SCREW ALONE.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I'll add that I recently installed Delrin bushings in each end of the center link and they have made the steering very stiff. It may loosen up with use, time will tell.

I mention it as you say you have a 'restored' car so perhaps something similar has occurred.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'll add that I recently installed Delrin bushings in each end of the center link and they have made the steering very stiff. It may loosen up with use, time will tell.
That reminds me; with hard bushings the vertical alignment of the idler arm becomes much more important than it is with the stock rubber Silentblocs. Like the steering box bracket, the bracket for the idler arm has oversize mounting holes so it can be positioned to match the Pitman arm (aka drop arm) from the steering box. If you follow the normal course of bolting the idler firmly into place first, and then installing the center link, you will probably wind up with significant misalignment and binding. I left the idler mounts loose until after fitting the steering box (which also has to be aligned to match the column) and center link, so I could see the vertical range it would move through and locked it down in the center of that range.

With the split column, there are several mounts along the steering column that have to be adjusted to carry the column in a straight line, or it will bind as well. The check I used was to have the tie rods disconnected and the steering wheel off, and try to turn the shaft with my fingers. There should be almost no resistance, except for the slight tight spot as the steering box goes through center, and even that should be easy to overcome with just your fingers on the bare shaft. Also a good time to check that each wheel turns freely (with the car supported by the frame). It's possible for the vertical link or upper A-arms to get bent until new trunnions will bind.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
That reminds me; with hard bushings the vertical alignment of the idler arm becomes much more important... the bracket for the idler arm has oversize mounting holes so it can be positioned to match the Pitman arm...

Ah, did not realize that. I will try loosening the idler arm mounts and see if I can reposition it to relieve some of the binding.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
I was in your shoes about a year ago. And after reading up on the options of rebuilding or converting to R & P.
I decided to send my steering box to Macy's garage for a rebuild, as I was not up for a DIY..( It was about the same $$ as the R & P kits).

couldnt be happier with the results. Steering is responsive, no play & turns at slow speeds nicely.
BTW: one important thing is to set your front tire psi high ( I set mine to 35-36). So they are not mushy

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
When I bought my first tr3 in 1971, they told me that same thing; the steering is difficult and hard to move. I took it to this old timer(he was maybe 40 at the time) and he put a new zerk fitting in the idler arm and used an air powered greaser that push out a lot of old dried grease. His comment was that most people miss the idler arm or at home they did not have enough pressure to fill the idler arm. Anyways what he did for free made a big difference in the steering. 45 years later, I still have that car have completely rebuilt the suspension a few times. The rebuild is basic and this form can answer any questions you might have.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
That reminds me; with hard bushings the vertical alignment of the idler arm becomes much more important... the bracket for the idler arm has oversize mounting holes so it can be positioned to match the Pitman arm...

Ah, did not realize that. I will try loosening the idler arm mounts and see if I can reposition it to relieve some of the binding.

FWIW - I loosened the mounting bolts for the idler and worked the steering (and rapped on the idler body with a 2x2) to relax it a bit and hopefully let it find a less strained position. Seems to have lightened the steering but a curvy test drive is needed to see just how much.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Very interesting topic. I have owned two TR3A and both had tough steering. The present one, I did the R&P conversion. This creates new problems, like bump steer! The steering box and the other components look just like ones on my Healey and it steers much easier. So, I say, go with Randall's recommendations!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
A couple years ago I came into a large pile of Triumph vertical links. I found that all 8 were bent. A bent link puts the steering into a bind whenever you move from center. If it's bad enough it will cause failure of the soft metal trunnions and/or the link itself. I do not know why so many links were bent. I suspect shops misguidedly set the camber by bending the links instead of fixing the cause of the camber problem.

If anyone complains of hard steering on the TR2/3...I would first and foremost suspect a bent vertical link. Here's a link to my link thread!

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?98354-Triumph-spindles

I also do agree that a well adjusted TR3 steering gear should be precise and not overly hard to turn. To get a box that does that, though, you really have to study the manual and completely understand what each adjustment does. With a new peg, if you have trouble setting the center preload, then the worm is shot. You cannot fix a shot worm gear.