• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How did people in the 1950's manage to fit in the Prefect????

algot1901

Country flag
Have we the human race outgrown our ancestors? I am going to have to move the front seat to the rear in order to fit under the steering wheel and also to stretch my legs a bit and even then I am thinking about a removable steering wheel CRIPES!!!! this car is small.:bananawave::bananawave::bananawave:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
In other news I will neither confirm nor deny that I can sit in the Vauxhall without my head hitting the roof. :rolleyes2:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I wonder the same thing. My Morris Minor is a 4-door and I have no idea how they thought it was a 4 person car.

They certainly didn't have me (6' 1" 240#) in mind when they made it.

JamesH

Country flag
i don't know. i have never been lucky enough to see one in person, but on film Ron Weasley and Harry Potter fit just fine...but they were about 12 or 13, i think. (and skinny brits, not chunky americans)

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Country flag
I have decided that I am going to put modern sliders on the front seat and also will move it back about 4 inches the back seat will be useless, if the seat is in the proper position the steering wheel is into my belly.
I remember riding with my Daddy but I was 13 then and skinny:bananawave:. Either way I will drive it might not be too comfy, thanks for the replies
JG

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Harry Potter was in an Anglia, Shirley?
These are huge compared with early cars in my life, Austin Sevens, 4-seater with 6' 3" wheelbase!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Joan Davis (movie and TV actress) in her Austin, ca. 1942.

Joan Davis Austin.jpg

To save gas during rationing, she said she filled the tank using an eyedropper.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Country flag
What a hunk :whistle: one classy dame, good thing she was not portly

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I have said it before but, back in the 60s an early 70s we used it as a second car for about 30,000 miles or more. I personally put over half those miles as driver. True, I was skinnier then and our kids were smaller but it still works for me today, or did two years ago when I moved it. In the early days, I even rode in the back seat some just to test it out. It is a surprisingly comfortable seat. Now I'm not as big as Drooartz at only 5'10" and 220. Ok, I was only maybe 190 then but still 5'10". Anyway, do whatever you need to make it work for you. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with mine and intend to do again in the near future.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Harry Potter was in an Anglia, Shirley?
These are huge compared with early cars in my life, Austin Sevens, 4-seater with 6' 3" wheelbase!
It was an Anglia

and don't call me Shirley. :D

1652310031000.png

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have read that one of the reasons that British Cars are so little is due to the stunting of growth of the average Brit doe to the pollution/ poor diet of the industrial revolution/ depression/ world wars etc. and that it has taken till now to recover

1652310258895.png

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We're all talking about how hard it is to get into a family saloon, and here's Jeremy Clarkson at 6'5" driving a Peel P50.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Country flag
I wonder if you can seat two people LOL
Very soon I will be installing the front seat (bench) have been waiting for a brake light switch that GM used and it is a lever-type but does not need a chain, the lever is bent to come in contact with the pedal. Some other problem I have had is I broke the speedo glass and found one for $5.00US at angliabrokers@hotmail.com. They have been my go-to for used parts. Next, the speedo broke the thing the needle slips on come loose from a disk the needle is stamped to and now I cannot find the carb plunger to choke cable connecter, I bought a rivet setting jig for the brakes and that has disappeared time to call it a night.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like a rough ay Jim.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

"How did people in the 1950's manage to fit in the Prefect????"​

Why, they fit Prefectly.

I can't belive I passed up a chance like this earlier.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

"How did people in the 1950's manage to fit in the Prefect????"​

Why, they fit Prefectly.

I can't belive I passed up a chance like this earlier.
how can you aFORD a pun like that?