• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hose from water pump to head, remove water pump?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I want to replace all the hoses on my Morris (with 1275) while I'm doing the radiator. One of them is the little hose between the water pump and the head. I'm assuming I need to pull the pump to get a new hose on there? Should I do a new water pump as well?

I've not done that hose on this car, so it's more than 6 years old. Time to bit the bullet and get it done.

...and curse the engineer that thought it was a good solution.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have been told you can replace it with one of the "acordian" style hoses but don't have that actual experience myself yet.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'd be inclined to keep the water pump if it is working (and not weeping) - I suppose you can inspect it when it off the car and for sure you will need a new gasket, but in my general experience when it comes to replacement parts, the quality just isn't there so if you can keep something older...

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've been thinking the same thing, JP. This one has been working just fine, so maybe just a new gasket and quick inspection and back on it goes.

I do have an acordian-style hose, but I looked at it and at the gap between the two ends and I just can't see how it would work. So off with the water pump we go.

zabond

Country flag
it can be done without removing the pump & using solid hose[acordian hose wont last long ] with solid hose bend it in a U shape so that it just fits in between nipples, tie it with a cable tie, put the ends just on, then cut the cable tie, with a bit of fiddling it will go on, you then have to feed your worm drive clamps on, handy to do if its a roadside repair, but easier to remove the pump;)
Russ

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, @zabond. Pump is coming off once I can get the new gasket.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I changed mine no problem (with minimal intrusion).

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I changed mine with a solid piece of hose again pulled into a U shape, Did not change / remove the Water Pump. And it was a warm day and likely the radiator was out and fan was unbolted to provide better access. I seem to recall soaking the hose in very hot water prior to getting it put in place to make it more pliable.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I changed mine with a solid piece of hose again pulled into a U shape, Did not change / remove the Water Pump. And it was a warm day and likely the radiator was out and fan was unbolted to provide better access. I seem to recall soaking the hose in very hot water prior to getting it put in place to make it more pliable.
I did the same.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the tips, I'll have to give it a try

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am glad to hear for certain that it can be done that way. If I ever get my Sprite put back together I may someday have the opportunity to try it myself.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Funny story about the discovery of that hole in that corrugated hose. I went for a drive (a couple years back) and all seemed well. The first place I went to was a gas station, and while stopped there, the attendant said "is it supposed to be doing that?" I said "doing what?" "THAT!" I looked and there was steam now pouring out. So, I drove home (I hadn't gone far) and investigated... quickly found the hose had failed.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well, I decided in the end to pull the water pump anyways. Gave me a chance to clean it up a bit and to make sure it was still working properly. Doesn't seem to have any issues, so I have a new gasket on the way to button it all back up.