• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Hood stick assembly 1960 tr3a

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
My painter painted my hood stick assembly with the proper body color but NOW it is pretty stiff and in need of some lubrication at the joints for ease of movement. Any thoughts on what to use? I was thinking that some sort of lithium grease would do the trick but would like to get your thoughts on this.
I know I have to work them to get them loose enough but feel that some sort of lubrication would be in order.

Another question Is what did you use as a bolt or screw for the hood stick bracket to body mounting?

All thoughts and ideas appreciated, Dick.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
My painter painted my hood stick assembly with the proper body color but NOW it is pretty stiff and in need of some lubrication at the joints for ease of movement. Any thoughts on what to use?... what did you use as a bolt or screw for the hood stick bracket to body mounting?

I have used Fluid Film in a variety of applications and like the results. It creeps and does not evaporate away like some lubes.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=fluid+film

Off the top of my head I am thinking those screws are ¼ x 28 and pointy for ease of assembly. Are they the same as the screws for the door hinges? Not sure.

Okay, looks like Moss shows them and lists the same screw for the door hinges:

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/SearchResults.aspx?SearchText=314-165&WebCatalogID=0

Last edited:

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Same subject but opposite problem. All of a sudden my hood stick has started to rattle. Know its the hood stick because when I remove it the rattle goes away. Didn't do it until recently. Is there any way to tighten the attaching point? I've added a washer to take up most (but not all) of the slack and it still rattles. All suggestions will be appreciated.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I painted mine and managed to lubricate it enough to move. I think I used silicon spray but felt the issue would be too much movement (and rattles) rather than not enough. I was concerned about getting it tight as well as finding/starting the threads into the threaded plate thru the inner panel/material. The holes in mine are tapered to allow a countersunk screw/bolt, so I got some longer fine thread Allen head screws. Both screws thread into a single plate that allows some movement, until tightened. I seem to recall having an even longer bolt to hold the plate into position so I could start the second screw. I think an Allen head can be tightened much more than a flat or cross head screw. It must be countersunk so the hood stick can swing past it when going up or down.

Attachments

• hood_snap.jpg
    hood_snap.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 106

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm confused by TexasKnucklehead's answer. I thought we were talking about the stay rod that holds the hood (bonnet) in place when open. That was what my question was about. If I was wrong, sorry. He seems to be talking about attaching the top bows.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Yep, attaching the top bows. Thanks for the reply anyway!

Cheers, Dick

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I'm confused by TexasKnucklehead's answer. I thought we were talking about the stay rod that holds the hood...

In BritSpeak, the 'top' is a 'hood' and the bows are the 'sticks'. Thus the 'top bows' are the 'hood sticks'.

Now will someone explain the reason why they had both pounds and guineas in the old money?

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
(Bobby) Oh -the other "hood stick" rattle. The engineers at Standard Motors designed the thickness, hardness and length of the "bonnet stay rod" to be such that it acts as a tuning fork. If your engine is perfectly timed and at idle, the resonant harmonics developed across the length of the rod allow it to vibrate enough to bang against the underside of the bonnet. It is a "feature" not a "flaw". Pull a plug wire off and the rattle will go away or at least change frequency. I know a TR3 owner that ties a rag around the middle of the rod when he doesn't want to hear it. That rattle is almost as annoying as the squeak that comes from either of the Dzus fasteners on the bonnet. Eliminating or tolerating these nuisances is what separates Triumph owners from normal people.

I can't explain the pound thing, but perhaps a song might help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sor9GzivGbk